A Tarantula Personality

Rookie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'm sorry guys, but I'm starting another thread. This one might be more for discussion (or ignorance) than a specific question.
Why is it that Ts behave the way they do sometimes? I've been reading here a lot, and every now and then I read about people who have Ts that just do weird things. Like the person (sorry, can't remember who posted it) who mentioned how her T scraped its fang against the glass of its enclosure. And some people have terrestrials that want to be aboreals, and aboreals that want to be terrestrials. Some people have encountered ferocious Ts that are supposed to be kind, and skittish Ts that are supposed to be docile. It seems as though Tarantulas have as wide a variety of personality traits as us humans.
Does anyone have any thoughts on this, or do I just not know what I'm talking about?
Paul

kellygirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i feel like my Ts each have their own personalities and moods... but then again i could just be anthropomorphizing! :D

kellygirl

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I don't see why it comes as such a surprise. WHy should every tarantula act exactly like it is scripted. Each spider is unique so of course they are going to have their own personalities.

The_Phantom

Scarlet O' Hairy
Old Timer
My b.Smithi is skittish ! I walked in the room one time, and she started to run in her cage like crazy ! It was like I scared her ! If you blow on her, she runs into her little cave, but my Rosea if you blow on her she just raises her front legs for a sec, and then drops them. Sometimes they can both be docile, sometimes, moody. Theyre funny things, Ts ! :D

kellygirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
is it good to blow on a T? one time, the breeze from a fan blew on my rosie and she acted like it was very painful. are the hairs sensitive to that type of stimuli?

kellygirl

Last edited:

The_Phantom

Scarlet O' Hairy
Old Timer
Well. I dont usually blow on them, and if I do, its usually a gentle puff, not a big gust !! Its usually the "are you still alive?" blow.:eek:

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Blowing on a T will generally cause a fight or flight reaction. Generally when they feel something blow on them, they think it's the exhaled breath of a predator. If naything stresses out a T, blowing on them is it. Very good way to get a face full of urticating hairs.

Scott