A tarantula doing tarantula things with a ping pong ball

Xafron

Arachnosquire
I think that will crumble to pieces, and not the safest option. They manipulate with their fangs as well...I don't think I'd like it if one of my spiders gets foam stuck on its fangs...and I am the one who has to remove it :D
True. Maybe cardboard squares glued together to form a cube...

Nixphat

Arachnosquire
I wonder if you could use some kind of clay to make objects that could work.. though I don't know if it would be quite the same...

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Some would argue the entire pet hobby is "pretty pointless." The whole purpose of it is for our enjoyment and to learn about the animals we keep. Putting in a ping pong ball with a tarantula certainly looks to be at the very least amusing (enjoyment), and also brings up some fun and interesting questions about T behavior that clearly are making people think (learning).
True, it just seemed odd to see people doing this just for fun. What would be interesting is to see the difference in behavior between males/females of the same species when offered a ping ping ball, or other spherical object. It would be cool if the males took interest as well, even though they won't be making any egg sacs.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I could try giving one of mine a cube or rectangle shaped blocks. My daughter has loads of em. They are wood though, so maybe not the best material...I also don't know with which species since I don't have a G.porteri or A.chalcodes...I think my B.smithi will just hair the hell out of it...
Ah wood, not quite the weight of a ping pong ball.

Nixphat

Arachnosquire
True, it just seemed odd to see people doing this just for fun. What would be interesting is to see the difference in behavior between males/females of the same species when offered a ping ping ball, or other spherical object. It would be cool if the males took interest as well, even though they won't be making any egg sacs.
It can be both fun and a knowledgeable learning experience :D

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I think that will crumble to pieces, and not the safest option. They manipulate with their fangs as well...I don't think I'd like it if one of my spiders gets foam stuck on its fangs...and I am the one who has to remove it :D
A few people have reported their Ts taking apart the ExoTerra styrofoam back panels.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
A few people have reported their Ts taking apart the ExoTerra styrofoam back panels.
Exactly..
How about Legos or Duplos? Playmobil? Barbies? :p
I think it would be fun seeing how Barbie gets smashed around by a T :smug:

Xafron

Arachnosquire
Will males follow the instructions and make what's on the box? Or try and come up with their own, superior design?

Tanner Dzula

Arachnoknight
the weird part is, it seems Males if anything are MORE interested then Females.

I have a Male A. Geniculata who just Hooked out a few weeks ago. we decided to add his ping pong back in to his tank, since he's been wandering quite a bit and figured we could put in off to the side and he would find it without his reacting to it like prey. and it worked wonderfully! he carried it around for 4 days like it was his best friend.

the coolest part it seems was when he found out it floats in his water dish. no matter where i move it too, he takes it and pushes it into his water, and will kind of tap it, so it floats away and then hits the other side and floats back. its amazing to see his reactions to it.

JoshDM020

Arachnobaron
the weird part is, it seems Males if anything are MORE interested then Females.

I have a Male A. Geniculata who just Hooked out a few weeks ago. we decided to add his ping pong back in to his tank, since he's been wandering quite a bit and figured we could put in off to the side and he would find it without his reacting to it like prey. and it worked wonderfully! he carried it around for 4 days like it was his best friend.

the coolest part it seems was when he found out it floats in his water dish. no matter where i move it too, he takes it and pushes it into his water, and will kind of tap it, so it floats away and then hits the other side and floats back. its amazing to see his reactions to it.
See, part of me wants the gentle playful thing to happen, but the rest of me wants to see full genic "GOTTA BE FOOD" psychotic break.

@basin79 that doesnt sound near as fun.

basin79

ArachnoGod
See, part of me wants the gentle playful thing to happen, but the rest of me wants to see full genic "GOTTA BE FOOD" psychotic break.

@basin79 that doesnt sound near as fun.
It depends on what the instructions are. I've been instructed by women that ended up being tremendous fun.

CyclingSam

Arachnoknight
My A. genic moves her's around almost nightly. Just 20 minutes ago, she was pushing it around.

boina

Lady of the mites
My A. genic got a ball and promptly moved it into her hide - that she never uses. A couple of months later I rehoused her in a bigger enclosure and put her ball in with her again. Next day the ball was back in the new hide, that she still won't use. I kind of got the impression that she doesn't like it and just wants to get it out of the way :(.