A superworm burrowed in my tank!

vtecgsr

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I tried to feed a superworm to me tarantula and scorpion but it burrowed so freakin fast i couldnt react! Is this bad?

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
No. It's fine for now. If the T is hungry, it will feel the worm moving and dig down and get it. It's pretty cool to watch. I had one dig down and disappear it was still alive 3 weeks later so I wouldn't worry about.

Amanda

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I've had them do that, and if the T doesn't get them, I ALWAYS find them a couple days later, hiding under the T's water dish. No worries... at the worst, it would go to pupa, become a beetle, and the T would eat that.

vtecgsr

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
LOL cool. How long before it pupates? My a genic is really boring though... i dont know if he would dig around. I dont understand everyone i asked made them seem really active.

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
lol, if you think a genic is boring, don't ever get a rosie...

no, seriously, a happy t is a static t. NO happy t will ever 'do' very much except eat, and occasionally wander, hide or drink. only mature males are more active, wandering around constantly, because they look for a mate. so your genics behavious is quite normal and you won't get much else with other ts. many are pet rocks, others are pet webs or pet holes...

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
LOL cool. How long before it pupates? My a genic is really boring though... i dont know if he would dig around. I dont understand everyone i asked made them seem really active.
What you were told about this species is that it doesn't burrow and it stays out in the open to be seen a lot. That doesn't mean it'll be doing a lot. :D

_Nagash_

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I tried to feed a superworm to me tarantula and scorpion but it burrowed so freakin fast i couldnt react! Is this bad?
Hi!
If you crush the superworms head, it will still "twich", but don`t dig.
I think you should get rid of the beetle when it appears, becasue T`s usually don`t eat them.

Greets
Robin

metzgerzoo

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hi!
If you crush the superworms head, it will still "twich", but don`t dig.
I think you should get rid of the beetle when it appears, becasue T`s usually don`t eat them.

Greets
Robin
That's right. They *might* eat them if they happen to catch the beatle right after it molts when its shell is still soft and red, but very rarely will tarantulas eat beatles. Their shells are too hard.

RottweilExpress

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I usually throw in some extra zoophobas because I like to watch them morph into beetles against the glass. Also, I never remove the beetles if the pet doesn't eat it, because it does a decent job at cleaning the tank.

BLS Blondi

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Superworms always burrow right away, making them a burden as feeders. I use silkworms instead.

instar

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
What exactly is a "superworm"? Is it those kingsized meal worms I sometimes see? :confused:

George!

Arachnopeon
cheetah13mo said:
No. It's fine for now. If the T is hungry, it will feel the worm moving and dig down and get it. It's pretty cool to watch. I had one dig down and disappear it was still alive 3 weeks later so I wouldn't worry about.
Just thought I would mention, I put a superworm in with my A.Insubtilis and as said it just borrowed down, 1 hour later I witnessed my T removing the Vermiculite from the peat and slowy making a hole and behold the superworm came out at the wrong time and my T had a very nice dinner it was funny to watch. All I can say is I guess as cheetah13mo said it felt it but never knew they could do that :) Im still new to the hobby and it was fascinating to watch.

Selenops

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Maybe place the superworm in a deeper water dish or feed dish like those meant for amphibians.

In fact, I've bought these waterdishes at local pet shops that are about 3" diameter and 1" deep that would probably serve this purpose well.

Amanda

Arachnolord
Old Timer
What exactly is a "superworm"? Is it those kingsized meal worms I sometimes see? :confused:
They are similar, but different. Kingsized mealworms are actually ordinary mealworms that are treated with hormones to prevent them from pupating. Superworms are a different species that just naturally grow very large. Most keepers will try to avoid anything treated with hormones, because who knows what effect that could have on your T.

The best way to tell the difference is to read the packaging. Mealworms must be refrigerated to prevent them from going to pupa, so even the kingsized mealworm package will tell you to refrigerate. Superworms will die if refrigerated, so the package will warn you not to. Just look for the giant worms that AREN'T in the refrig, and you'll get the right stuff.

Amanda

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Not sure... I've never personally had one go all the way. I had one go to pupa, and it was one of the creepiest things I've ever seen, lol. I tossed it in with my hungry B. smithi, and she devoured it.

verry_sweet

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Here is one I found in one of my tanks. Not sure how long it took though. I accidentally crushed it a little getting it out.