a spider with a glue-like web?

It_Glows

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i forget the species name, but i know their web aren't threads but instead are like glue, launching their wads of "glue" at a potential prey i believe they are actual hunters, instead of ambush.

i want this for a true spider pet, but i can't find it if i don't know the name

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I think I know what you're talking about, the common name is "spitting spider". Had to look up the genus .."Scytodes", google that and you'll get a lot of info. They are common here in Tx.

It_Glows

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
thanks! now... i'm just wondering if i should get a net-casting spider or spitting spider first lol, they both are amazing spiders

It_Glows

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
my vote is for Ctenizidae (trap door spiders)
yeah... but my roommate has a big enough problem with an emp' i highly doubt he'd let me get a giant hairy spider, so i'm thinking of getting a true spider so i can keep it in a small display case like most people do here that you could buy at a hobby store and i could hide it

i have to respect his demands too, he pays half the rent

rasputin

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
yeah... but my roommate has a big enough problem with an emp' i highly doubt he'd let me get a giant hairy spider, so i'm thinking of getting a true spider so i can keep it in a small display case like most people do here that you could buy at a hobby store and i could hide it

i have to respect his demands too, he pays half the rent
I've got an excess of Steatoda grossa (false widows) I can give you from. They're almost identical to spiders of the genus Latrodectus (widows), all the way down to venom structure, but they are not as deadly and don't possess the hourglass that Latros are known for. They're pretty plug and play in that you give them an enclosure, substrate, something to construct it's hide/web up and then add food - voila, a walk in the park.

Sorry, I shouldn't be distracting from the initial concern. I cast my vote for a Deinopidae (family of the net casting spider). Question is, how are you going to track one down?

It_Glows

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I've got an excess of Steatoda grossa (false widows) I can give you from. They're almost identical to spiders of the genus Latrodectus (widows), all the way down to venom structure, but they are not as deadly and don't possess the hourglass that Latros are known for. They're pretty plug and play in that you give them an enclosure, substrate, something to construct it's hide/web up and then add food - voila, a walk in the park.

Sorry, I shouldn't be distracting from the initial concern. I cast my vote for a Deinopidae (family of the net casting spider). Question is, how are you going to track one down?
widows aren't exactly deadly though are they? isn't the chance of death from a widow bite like... extremely low? and as for tracking one down..... i guess i don't have the slightest clue, lol... i guess i forgot fall came and there aren't exactly spiders everywhere you look here anymore, i remember there used to be tons of different spiders on my tree because at spring that tree used to be infested with caterpillars every spring, all spring like fleas on a stray dog

i GUESS i could get the same enclosure and get a sling, right? i'm planning on moving out in about 3 months, and T's grow slowly right?

rasputin

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
widows aren't exactly deadly though are they? isn't the chance of death from a widow bite like... extremely low?
I've been bit 17 times by black widows (no, I wasn't playing with them like an idiot); 13 times in one week because the bed was next to a book shelf - they weren't full envenomations but enough to notice and then confirm when I rolled over it in my sleep and found it in the covers the last day, then I got one after staying on a friends couch after leaving the pub I used to work at - he lived in a basement unit of a duplex and I knew what it was right away when I woke up, but the last 3 bites came in one night in July of last year and that dame wasn't messing around - I didn't give notice to the bites until the morning of the day I decided to go to the hospital (just a couple days had passed) I've got a pain threshold that is so high that I don't know I'm in trouble until the doctor tells me some thing along the lines of, "if you had waited another hour..." and my rule is that if you see me taking tylenol, call an ambulance because it's not good - so yeah, about 15min after getting home I was doped out of my mind on meds for the first time in my life. Yes, a doctor did give me the line in quotes once when I had scarlet fever back in August of '99.

Anyways, to answer the question - a spider of the genus Latrodectus can and will kill a human but it's not all too common amongst healthy adults with strong immune systems.

i GUESS i could get the same enclosure and get a sling, right? i'm planning on moving out in about 3 months, and T's grow slowly right?
Sounds like a good idea.

8+)

Arachnolord
Old Timer
thanks! now... i'm just wondering if i should get a net-casting spider or spitting spider first lol, they both are amazing spiders
Deinopidae are awesome, but hard to keep alive, and hard to come by, at least in my experience. Scytodes are super cool too, and much easier to find and care for. If you can find a pair they will live together, but seems like you need to find them already together or the female will likely eat the male.

Where are you located? They are pretty common around here.

saltyscissors

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Bolas spiders? they're a type of orb weaver, they swing round a sticky globule and catch moths attracted by the pheromones on its bolas. I don't think anyones ever kept one before.

rasputin

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Bolas spiders? they're a type of orb weaver, they swing round a sticky globule and catch moths attracted by the pheromones on its bolas. I don't think anyones ever kept one before.
I keep an Araneus cavaticus, she's produced one egg sack but the sack didn't make it. They're from the same family and do share some commonalities in appearance but A. cavaticus is known for it's amazing webs and how it makes a new one every night. What's cool about keeping this species...other than the name *Charlotte A. Cavatica...not much.

*It's the species from and that's the full name of Charlotte from Charlotte's Web by E.B.White.

It_Glows

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I've been bit 17 times by black widows (no, I wasn't playing with them like an idiot); 13 times in one week because the bed was next to a book shelf - they weren't full envenomations but enough to notice and then confirm when I rolled over it in my sleep and found it in the covers the last day, then I got one after staying on a friends couch after leaving the pub I used to work at - he lived in a basement unit of a duplex and I knew what it was right away when I woke up, but the last 3 bites came in one night in July of last year and that dame wasn't messing around - I didn't give notice to the bites until the morning of the day I decided to go to the hospital (just a couple days had passed) I've got a pain threshold that is so high that I don't know I'm in trouble until the doctor tells me some thing along the lines of, "if you had waited another hour..." and my rule is that if you see me taking tylenol, call an ambulance because it's not good - so yeah, about 15min after getting home I was doped out of my mind on meds for the first time in my life. Yes, a doctor did give me the line in quotes once when I had scarlet fever back in August of '99.

Anyways, to answer the question - a spider of the genus Latrodectus can and will kill a human but it's not all too common amongst healthy adults with strong immune systems.

Sounds like a good idea.
i'm not sure where i heard that, but i guess it meant only black widows, still potent enough to hospitalize, but didn't think exctly THAT deadly

rasputin

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
i'm not sure where i heard that, but i guess it meant only black widows, still potent enough to hospitalize, but didn't think exctly THAT deadly
Again, a healthy adult usually doesn't die from a Latrodectus envenomation unless they have an allergic reaction to the venom. But, by the same token, it is possible. Like I said, I went to the hospital last year because I was going past my pain threshold and that's not a good sign given my aforementioned threshold - I'm desensitized to high levels of pain so if I feel pain I try and walk it off first (2 days of "walking it off" would say that I most likely wasn't going to die but I couldn't lift my drill with my right arm to hang the sheetrock above the elevator shaft in the building I was putting up - I had to use my left arm to lift my right arm and put pressure on the drill because the pain was so bad) and if it doesn't go away, then I know it's time to go to the hospital.

Pain? Yes, excruciating!