A spider I found in the Sierras east of Fresno California about 3,000ft + altitude where it snows.

Leeway337

Arachnopeon
Trying to get an Id on this spider. Found in the sierras of central California. This one is almost always hanging out in good view except when I have a camera out. I have 2 of these and this one has about 3 inch diagonal leg span maybe bigger. Dug its hole very fast and buried and redesigned its home 2 times. This big one will come out of its hole and chase crickets down. It is almost always on top of the soil in my container and will only hide if you open it but then comes back up unless you have a camera for some reason. The smaller one never comes out and just stays at the edge of hole and waits for cricket to come by. The only web is mats on the ground that are like some of my ground tarantulas make.

Found at about 1 foot depth. Flat ground. Caked soil that turns to powder little to no ground litter. Sierras where it snows heavy in winter 3k+ alt. Creek about 100 feet away. Probably 20 individuals holes in a 50 foot diameter. Holes at least 1 foot apart. Communal?

Attachments

Last edited:

Aredtomato

Arachnopeon
Sounds possibly communal. Or they could just all mind their own assuming theres a spider in each hole. More pics? I'm thinking the same as Ciphor.

These are also cool. I want one :)

VictorHernandez

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Great find.. I also think it's some kind of mygalid. It's legs are not as thick as trapdoors though.
Can you get a better picture from above?

John Apple

Just a guy
Old Timer
looks like a calisoga....maybe thevenetti......longitarsis is rather light almost silverish

josh_r

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Apple is right. It is a calisoga species, but it's not theveneti and doesn't look to be longitarsus. There is a calisoga species in the high sierras that is dull in color, slight reddish tarsae and a faint wishbone pattern on the abdomen. I forget the name.... darn it.... it's on the tip of my tongue!

Edit: after a closer look, it could be theveneti. John may be absolutely right! Can you get some better pics?? There are 3 species in the sierras that are sympatric. Better pics will help as would specific locality. I have found all 3 species so I'm not trying to fish localities. Pm me with the locality and I'll get a better idea.

---------- Post added 12-21-2012 at 08:42 AM ----------

What may also work is a very good description of coloring, specifically, the pubescence. All 3 species are very different in pubescence. Longitarsus pubescence is silver with aqua green, theveneti has a pubescence of deep cobalt blue over a charcoal gray body and reddish tarsae, the last species I'm drawing a blank to has no pubescence. It is just flesh colored with a slight wishbone pattern on the abdomen and slight reddish tarsae.

Last edited:

Entomancer

Arachnobaron
I have no valuable input on this, I just wanted to say that is a very cool find and I am jealous. :p

Leeway337

Arachnopeon
I was trying to get better pictures but it decided it wanted privacy and buried that part of the burrow by the plastic. Soon I'm gonna get it into a bigger container so I'll take pictures of it in an empty plastic before I put into a new container. If I can I'll take pictures of the smaller one too. Would be cool if I lucked out and got a male and female. Thanks for the input I'm gonna start reading about them now.

josh_r

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
There isn't much info on them aside from longitarsus, which yours doesn't look to be. Most info on the other 2 species is from me on this forum.

Redneck101

Arachnosquire
man, i can never find stuff like that.. i guess i am not looking good enough.. very nice looking guy though. =)