A specific question

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
I have been looking to get some millipedes for a while now, and I seldom see any for sale, even here on the classifieds. Centipedes seem quite popular, at least here in the states. Why are millipedes so uncommon, does it have something to do with legislation, or am I just looking in the wrong places?

I'm NOT looking for links or anything (unless via PRIVATE MESSAGE)

Teds ts and Inverts

Arachnobaron
It probably has to do with centipedes being predatory, and, therefore more entertaining to keep. There are probably more reasons, but that’s the only one I can think of right now.

MadMilli

Arachnoknight
I have been looking to get some millipedes for a while now, and I seldom see any for sale, even here on the classifieds. Centipedes seem quite popular, at least here in the states. Why are millipedes so uncommon, does it have something to do with legislation, or am I just looking in the wrong places?

I'm NOT looking for links or anything (unless via PRIVATE MESSAGE)
In the US it definitely has to do with legislation but there are a few common millipedes you can get in a lot of places. Most of the time you’ll have the best luck through private sellers or reaching out to people with wide collections on here.

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
In the US it definitely has to do with legislation but there are a few common millipedes you can get in a lot of places. Most of the time you’ll have the best luck through private sellers or reaching out to people with wide collections on here.
Thought so

I'm certainly going to look in the classifieds here. I have 3-4 species in mind.

NopusNatus

Arachnopeon
Elytra and Antenna and The Odd Pet have recent classified ads selling millipedes. I could sell you some flame legs (Trigoniulus macropygus) and maybe a couple Thai rainbows but seeing that you are in Ohio I would definitely want to get some insulated boxes before sending them from California. To be honest the other 2 mentioned are more prepared to sell than I am but if you are okay waiting I’m sure we could work out a fair price if either species is what you are looking for.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
While centipedes do see to be more popular, I usually see several vendors with various millipedes available at our local reptile shows/expos. Of course, in Ohio you're going to have a different set of vendors than we have out here in SoCal - but it still might be worth checking out, if there are any shows near you. The species I see most commonly are things like Chicobolus spinigerus, Narceus gordanus, Orthopus ornatus, and Anadenobolus monilicornis - but I have seen a few vendors with some of the big African millipedes as well. I guess it really depends on what particular species you are looking for - and how common they are in the hobby over here. Imports are heavily restricted, so you're mostly stuck with either native species or captive bred - and it can be difficult to get some species of millipedes to breed in captivity, making them harder to find.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
US millipede keeping kinda went down the tubes when all exotic species were banned from both being imported and kept without a permit back in 2006 from what I understand. I'm assuming since imports were so plentiful back then (or at least more plentiful then they are now) most people didn't make any serious attempts at breeding exotic species, so when the ban hit we lost a lot of species unfortunately. Same thing still plagues us today I think actually; since there are so few serious breeders, a lot of species remain only available as WC specimens, even US native species that are quite easy to breed (A lot of C. spinigerus, probably most Narceus sp., Hiltonius sp., Tylobolus sp., and all O. ornatus and Floridobolus sp. [because they haven't been bred in captivity successfully yet], are only available as WC specimens).

I think it is picking back up a little bit (we are inexplicably seeing exotic species being bred and becoming available here with more regularity) however.

As for availability, many large vendors of more than arachnids carry at least one or two species of native millipedes. And of course the above mentioned users on here have a wide selection available.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
This thread has been very informative, I think I may PM the members mentioned above before the site goes down for maintenance, now that I know what to expect for the most part. In the meantime, any species suggestions? Also I see sellers using USPS for shipping of millipedes, isopods and springtails, since I've been in the tarantula hobby, I have become accustomed to FedEx, so is it not illegal to ship things like millipedes and isopods via USPS?