A slaughter! BATS

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Right now... A geyser of termites emerging over the neighbors house (nuptials time) a few feet away and above them a vast cloud of bats seriously pigging out. At a guess about 150. Too bad it's near dark and overcast. Camera won't pick anything up.
I love watching bats. Every zig or zag is another bug biting the dust.

keks

Arachnobaron
I love bats too. Once my daughter sheltered one, it was in the drain of a rain gutter (I hope this is right?). We brought it to the bat-shelter in the Natural Historic Museum in Vienna, and got a guided tour for free through the museum therefore ^^.
The bat was Nyctalus leisleri, totally exhausted from its journey from Russia to Austria. So it fell into the rain gutter. It was a very exciting, to care for this species for one day. With the professional care of the NHM it recovered in short time and was returned to the wild :)
Here I can watch four or five bats. About 150 bats at once must be great sight :) .

The Snark

Old Timer
That is nice. Especially having a bat shelter available!

This is most unusual, the great flock? of bats. Never seen this many at once. Out every night for a week now. If anyone savvy with digital cameras has suggestions on settings to catch a video of them I'd mucho appreciate it. (A Nikon 3400 if that helps). Might even get lucky and have a sunset behind them.

keks

Arachnobaron
Yep. But unfortunately many people still fear bats. Like spiders/tarantulas.

It is a pity, that you can't make a video. I can't help you in this case.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
I bet bats are cool -- I have never actually seen one in person -- just pix. Oh well.

schmiggle

Arachnoking
I have only one suggestion--does your camera have a nighttime setting?

The Snark

Old Timer
I have only one suggestion--does your camera have a nighttime setting?
Yes, but won't take a video in that mode. I don't think. Duhhh.

I forgot to mention, there was a Mina out trying to get it's own share of the termites, trying to emulate the bats. Hilarious. Think an old M38 jeep on the Indy track with the formula 1s.

vespers

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I love watching bats.
Me too. I've been watching bats at dusk ever since I've been a young boy. Many of my tattoos are bats or have bats in them. I have at least 20 on me if I counted each individual one.

Vermis

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Read the topic title and thought someone was slaughtering bats! Glad to see it's bats filling their boots.

What's a Mina? Spelling variant of Myna?

Nephila Edulis

Arachnoknight
Thousands of fat filled, slow flying biscuits? Every predator from a mile around would be pigging out

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Around where I am it is mostly Myotis lucifugus that is seen in the spring/summer/early fall months.

Don't get me started on the whole White Nose Syndrome, though :(

Hopefully they can be saved. From what I read, the condition does not affect animals in Europe but in the USA it does. Something about not having sufficient immunity built up or some such explanation.

The Snark

Old Timer
What's a Mina? Spelling variant of Myna?
Sorry. Yes. It's really MINE-a. So named by yours truly for the constant incessant battles they are engaged in over who owns what part of the road kills.