A self-sustaining jarrarium, or ecosphere, for invertebrates?

Wayfarin

Arachnoknight
Update:
I may finally have access to more aquatic isopods and amphipods!
I believe they are captive bred this time, but I'm still pleased. They are not easy to find, particularly the isopods!
(Seriously, aquatic isopods should be more popular in the shrimp hobby.)

The ecosphere project can be expected to continue starting spring, or possibly sooner.
Thanks for being patient!
God bless!

Wayfarin

Arachnoknight
Update:
I may finally have access to more aquatic isopods and amphipods!
I believe they are captive bred this time, but I'm still pleased. They are not easy to find, particularly the isopods!
(Seriously, aquatic isopods should be more popular in the shrimp hobby.)

The ecosphere project can be expected to continue starting spring, or possibly sooner.
Thanks for being patient!
God bless!
Sad update:
THEY SOLD OUT! Of course they did. They are never available so they are quick to sell out. We didn't grab them while they were available for one moment!
I'm sorry to say that this ecosphere project is becoming a bust. Hopefully I'll be able to complete this project sometime this year, but I just can't set expected dates anymore at this point. For those who are still interested in these project ideas, feel free to continue discussing the matter on this thread.
As for me, I have no intent on continuing this project until I find more of those underrated crustaceans, which are not as common in freshwater ponds as I expected.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Sad update:
THEY SOLD OUT! Of course they did. They are never available so they are quick to sell out. We didn't grab them while they were available for one moment!
I'm sorry to say that this ecosphere project is becoming a bust. Hopefully I'll be able to complete this project sometime this year, but I just can't set expected dates anymore at this point. For those who are still interested in these project ideas, feel free to continue discussing the matter on this thread.
As for me, I have no intent on continuing this project until I find more of those underrated crustaceans, which are not as common in freshwater ponds as I expected.
you could have a terrestrial eco sphere ? If you can’t find species for the aquatic one. Not something I could pull off but maybe you can ?
I tried to raise outdoor isopods once I forgot about them and they mostly died , maybe you can make it self sustaining?

Wayfarin

Arachnoknight
you could have a terrestrial eco sphere ? If you can’t find species for the aquatic one. Not something I could pull off but maybe you can ?
I tried to raise outdoor isopods once I forgot about them and they mostly died , maybe you can make it self sustaining?
I'm pretty sure I could make a terrestrial ecosphere, but I would probably use a separate jar for this sort of project. It would probably be a little more challenging since providing the ideal amount of drainage and moisture would have to be balanced, compared to an aquatic ecosphere where water and hydration is not as complicated.

But if I could find the ideal plants and animals that could tolerate the damp, poorly-ventilated conditions inside the jar, I could quite possibly pull it off.
I had already been planning this project, but I had considered aquatic ecospheres to be more beginner-friendly.

I'm aware that many freshwater invertebrates have terrestrial counterparts, such as isopods, springtails, snails, worms, and even amphipods.

Wayfarin

Arachnoknight
Update:
We found out that the local pond merely a mile or two from our house has water boatmen and crawling water beetles!
Unfortunately, the crawling water beetles were more abundant last fall, and almost all of our water boatmen were devoured by a dragonfly that we stupidly decided to add to the collecting bucket.

If all goes well, hopefully we can try to start another ecosphere, perhaps only with water boatmen and crawling water beetles.

SpookySpooder

"embiggened"
Arachnosupporter
Have you heard of the Walstad method popularized by Diana Walstad?

I have utilized the concepts and established sealed and self sustaining ecosystems in jars, as well as no water change tanks, could help with what you're doing here.

Wayfarin

Arachnoknight
Have you heard of the Walstad method popularized by Diana Walstad?

I have utilized the concepts and established sealed and self sustaining ecosystems in jars, as well as no water change tanks, could help with what you're doing here.
Yes, I have heard of the "Walstad" method.
I already have concepts of similar tanks that I had hoped to test. A self-sustaining mosquitofish and fathead minnow tank requiring minimal water changes was one of my ideas, but I considered that I'd best do relatively simple freshwater insect and invertebrate tanks first.