A: seemanni

Pyrdacor

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I got to see my A. seemanni again. She stayed in her burrow for nearly two month and yesterday she came out finally :). Unfortunately she didn't moult in that time. During her absence she did not eat even one cricket and yesterday she finished up with two of them :D
But she still looks great as she was before. I'll post a pic if she manages to come out again...

Buspirone

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Is that common for an A. seemani to hole up for long periods? I have one now but its still small, a juvenile, and is quite thin. It just ate 2 crickets, a large mealworm and 2 wax worms in the last couple days. The abdomen has swelled up nicely but it still looks a little narrow. :?

Pyrdacor

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Some guys here told me that it was normal and she would come out someday which now happened. But although she did not eat for two month her abdomen was still big.

Arachnopuppy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
A. seemani doesn't burrow as often as some obligated burrowers, but they do burrow. As far as staying in their holes for long periods of time, I'd say that it would depend on the individual tarantula. Some behave like h. lividum and some burrows a little bit and that's it.

deifiler

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Maybe it's burrowing was related to seasonal behaviour?

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Originally posted by deifiler
Maybe it's burrowing was related to seasonal behaviour?
Very likely. Aphonopelma, particularly wild caught specimens (which is 95%+ of the A. seemanni out there), are prone to observing seasonal variations based upon the natural light they receive irrespective of the conditions in their enclosure.

I've got an A. anax that has been down in its hide/scrape since late last summer and hasn't eaten in that entire time. It comes up about every six to eight weeks, drinks, and goes back down. I hasn't lost a gram in all that time that I've noticed.

nocturnalpulsem

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Originally posted by Code Monkey
Very likely. Aphonopelma, particularly wild caught specimens (which is 95%+ of the A. seemanni out there), are prone to observing seasonal variations based upon the natural light they receive irrespective of the conditions in their enclosure.

I've got an A. anax that has been down in its hide/scrape since late last summer and hasn't eaten in that entire time. It comes up about every six to eight weeks, drinks, and goes back down. I hasn't lost a gram in all that time that I've noticed.
My seemanni stays in the hole most of the time I'm around. She's not as social as she used to be a few months ago. She'll come out ever so often and just chill above ground (usually mear the heating pad) and then back to the hole. Often, to get her to eat I have to toss it into the burrow. That, of course caused many problems with bizotch cricks dropping their vile eggs in the burrow. I hate those things, but she won't eat the worms.

And as far as that anax goes, SWEET JEEBUS! :D

N.