A.seemanni set up as seen in nature( Including pics)

Andy00

Arachnoknight
I have seen pictures and videos of A.seemanni living in vertical burrows in nature, often constructed amongst tree roots.
I also noticed that there was a significant amount of fallen leaves covering the ground and some of the tarantulas even incorporated them into there burrows.

So when I acquired this specimen I decided to set it up similar to how I've seen in nature in order to see if it would take to the premade vertical burrow..

The enclosure is only 8×8 across by 11 inches deep. It has approximately 8 inches of coco fiber substrate for burrowing. I provided a vertical premade burrow of about 4 inches and left the other four so that the T could excavate as it see's fit.
I also provided dried water vine to simulate roots over the burrow as well as leaf litter.

I will eventually provide an enclosure atleast twice as deep after observing my T tonight. (Yes I know it's a waste of space in some peoples opinion but I don't care it's my space to waste and I feel it benefits the T)

It sat on top of the substrate for 3-4 days and upon checking on it tonight to offer prey I was happy to see this..

The T hanging out in it's burrow.
View attachment 225162 View attachment 225163 This is the T attacking a Discoid roach from it's burrow.

Where'd you get that enclosure? Haha the dimensions look pretty good for my p cambridgei

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Figured I would post a little update on my seemanni.. It's been six days and this is what it has done to the enclosure..

Instead of going completely vertical it dug down at a steep angle in front of the root in somewhat of a corkscrew all the way down to the bottom of the enclosure.
I'm a little disapointed that it didn't incorporate any leaves into its burrow but I think it's because there wasn't enough room to properly dispose of the coco fiber so they along with the root got covered..

I think that a bigger enclosures would influence how it designed it's burrow time will tell as I plan to rehouse it into something much larger both in depth and diameter if it turns out to be female.

Well anyways here is it's empire of dirt ;)... 20161124_104944.jpg 20161124_105047.jpg 20161124_105006.jpg

YagerManJennsen

Arachnobaron
Figured I would post a little update on my seemanni.. It's been six days and this is what it has done to the enclosure..

Instead of going completely vertical it dug down at a steep angle in front of the root in somewhat of a corkscrew all the way down to the bottom of the enclosure.
I'm a little disapointed that it didn't incorporate any leaves into its burrow but I think it's because there wasn't enough room to properly dispose of the coco fiber so they along with the root got covered..

I think that a bigger enclosures would influence how it designed it's burrow time will tell as I plan to rehouse it into something much larger both in depth and diameter if it turns out to be female.

Well anyways here is it's empire of dirt ;)... View attachment 225490 View attachment 225491 View attachment 225492
My female just filled in the starter burrow and just sits out in the open...Ungrateful little beastie lol

Matttoadman

Arachnoknight
Very cool stuff. I have noticed my A. seemani lines the cocofiber burrow with an invisible silk that holds it together. I didn't notice it until I was doing some house keeping at the mouth and pulled up a line of substrate. Mine went under her bark hide went straight down and then opened up a huge "den" at the bottom. All the excess was pushed up to fill and plug the hide. Considering she has been sealed in for several weeks And she is tannish-grey, I am expecting her to molt soon. The den is cleaned out to the bare glass. I keep the tank against a wall in an entertainment center so I can scoot it out and spy on her.

dmattenski

Arachnopeon
Can you give me some advise on substrate? So I believe that the A. seemani I just lost may have been in a way to humid environment. I am a novice, and had her in an acrylic box, with eco earth bedding that was almost damp - I am now aware that following the "care sheets" was a big mistake. I kept the humidity at 75-80%! So how do I know if it is too dry or two moist? Still spinning from the loss.

vespers

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Can you give me some advise on substrate? So I believe that the A. seemani I just lost may have been in a way to humid environment. I am a novice, and had her in an acrylic box, with eco earth bedding that was almost damp - I am now aware that following the "care sheets" was a big mistake. I kept the humidity at 75-80%! So how do I know if it is too dry or two moist? Still spinning from the loss.
Just keep the substrate moist to the touch while still having some decent ventilation, and you're fine...don't worry about numbers and percentages. Also, if you're using some pet store hygrometer to measure humidity; trash it....those things are inaccurate junk.

Linwizard69

Arachnopeon
I have seen pictures and videos of A.seemanni living in vertical burrows in nature, often constructed amongst tree roots.
I also noticed that there was a significant amount of fallen leaves covering the ground and some of the tarantulas even incorporated them into there burrows.

So when I acquired this specimen I decided to set it up similar to how I've seen in nature in order to see if it would take to the premade vertical burrow..

The enclosure is only 8×8 across by 11 inches deep. It has approximately 8 inches of coco fiber substrate for burrowing. I provided a vertical premade burrow of about 4 inches and left the other four so that the T could excavate as it see's fit.
I also provided dried water vine to simulate roots over the burrow as well as leaf litter.

I will eventually provide an enclosure atleast twice as deep after observing my T tonight. (Yes I know it's a waste of space in some peoples opinion but I don't care it's my space to waste and I feel it benefits the T)

It sat on top of the substrate for 3-4 days and upon checking on it tonight to offer prey I was happy to see this..

The T hanging out in it's burrow.
View attachment 225162 View attachment 225163 This is the T attacking a Discoid roach from it's burrow.
I think this is great. I am going to do this with mine.

Mychajlo

Arachnosquire
Where is the best place to purchase an A. seemanni?
Hey! I just realized we live not even an hour away from each other. I would suggest going to this store called “Pet and Aquatic Warehouse” in Lynchburg. I’ve gotten 3 of my tarantulas from them and they really know what they’re doing. I got my A. Seemanni from them and she is beautiful and they have a wide range of other species there too. Also Fear not Tarantulas is in Virginia Beach and I’ve heard she is great