A. Seemanni immature male with white on pedipalps

Teagan

Arachnopeon
hello.
My immature male Aphonopelma seemanni is acting sluggish and I noticed that his pedipalps are almost waxy in appearance and one of them has white on it. It almost looks like mold but I don't see any mold in the enclosure.
He hasnt been eating so ive been keeping the container moist incase he was in premolt.
I'm not sure what is wrong with him and I was hoping maybe someone else did? FB_IMG_1611422700024.jpg

Poonjab

Arachnoking
It’s poop, also... just from what I can tell, enclosure doesn’t look correct. They are obligate burrowers.

Poonjab

Arachnoking
I redid his enclosure. Filled it with eco earth. Hows This.
Looks lots better. Make sure sub is packed and dampened/moist. If you make a starter burrow under the hide, your T will take advantage it. Give it some time.

Teagan

Arachnopeon
Looks lots better. Make sure sub is packed and dampened/moist. If you make a starter burrow under the hide, your T will take advantage it. Give it some time.
I pushed the substrate down with my hand I'll spray it down too.

Poonjab

Arachnoking
I pushed the substrate down with my hand I'll spray it down too.
I’d pour water into it to dampen it. Spraying it down will only dampen top layer. It doesn’t need to be soaking wet, but this species appreciates a lil damper sub.

Teagan

Arachnopeon
I’d pour water into it to dampen it. Spraying it down will only dampen top layer. It doesn’t need to be soaking wet, but this species appreciates a lil damper sub.
Okay
He has been drinking a lot of water and is almost always on the water dish. He is acting sluggish and not responsive like normal. When I took him out to redo the enclosure and went to put him back in he kind of just flopped over in the cup when I turned it sideways. I'm not sure if that is normal.

Poonjab

Arachnoking
Okay
He has been drinking a lot of water and is almost always on the water dish. He is acting sluggish and not responsive like normal. When I took him out to redo the enclosure and went to put him back in he kind of just flopped over in the cup when I turned it sideways. I'm not sure if that is normal.
Not normal. It’s not getting ready for a molt by chance? Is it rolling onto its back?

Teagan

Arachnopeon
Not normal. It’s not getting ready for a molt by chance? Is it rolling onto its back?
No I haven't seen it make a web mat or flip over for a molt. I noticed it was acting weird so I looked closer and that's when I saw the white.
He has molted twice while I've had him.
He has been refusing feed but he did that for months before his last molt. Ive just been keeping his enclosure moist and leaving him alone incase he had to molt.
I'm worried it might be parasites or something.

Poonjab

Arachnoking
No I haven't seen it make a web mat or flip over for a molt. I noticed it was acting weird so I looked closer and that's when I saw the white.
He has molted twice while I've had him.
He has been refusing feed but he did that for months before his last molt. Ive just been keeping his enclosure moist and leaving him alone incase he had to molt.
I'm worried it might be parasites or something.
Naw, I don’t think it’s a parasite. When they hang out over the waterdish, it’s generally a sign that need more moisture. I’m pretty positive the white stuff on the palp is crap, as it’s not all too uncommon for a T to get poop on themselves. It honestly might be dehydrated. How does its abdomen look?

Teagan

Arachnopeon
Naw, I don’t think it’s a parasite. When they hang out over the waterdish, it’s generally a sign that need more moisture. I’m pretty positive the white stuff on the palp is crap, as it’s not all too uncommon for a T to get poop on themselves. It honestly might be dehydrated. How does its abdomen look?
I try to keep its water dish full but it drinks it down really fast. It looks round to me. Doesnt look dehydrated.

Poonjab

Arachnoking
I try to keep its water dish full but it drinks it down really fast. It looks round to me. Doesnt look dehydrated.
Interesting... I’m not saying that’s what it is, but only other thing that pops into my mind is that it could have a sucking stomach issue. I know that T’s that have issues with this drink a ton of water. Search on here about it and see if you can’t find similarities to what you’re experiencing with your T. Unfortunately with it not being my T to observe, I’m only left to speculation at this point. Maybe someone else with more insight will chime in soon

Teagan

Arachnopeon
Interesting... I’m not saying that’s what it is, but only other thing that pops into my mind is that it could have a sucking stomach issue. I know that T’s that have issues with this drink a ton of water. Search on here about it and see if you can’t find similarities to what you’re experiencing with your T. Unfortunately with it not being my T to observe, I’m only left to speculation at this point. Maybe someone else with more insight will chime in soon
Thanks I'll look into it

Poonjab

Arachnoking
UPDATE: he died

I don't know why I found him in death curl in his hide.

I FLIPPED HIM OVER HE IS DEAD NOT MOLTING. I FLIPPED HIM TO SEE HIS FANGS.

Can anyone tell me if maybe he was mature and I didnt know?
Remember the constant drinking and me mentioning the sucking stomach issue post molt? I would be willing to bet that’s the cause. Nothing you did wrong. It just happens sometimes.

Poonjab

Arachnoking
Yes. Because technically they can’t take in the nutrients. Let me @cold blood as I know he’ll be able to explain sucking stomach issues better than I can. I’ve only ever read stuff here about it.

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
He ate after his last molt though. Can that issue arrise after a molt?
Hold on a sec... What is going on with those pedipalps? They looks mangled or something, but the picture is too dark to see anything. Do you still have the body? If so, turn on a desk lamp, or other bright light, and take another picture with focus on the ends of the pedipalps.