Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

A. Seemanni care.

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by Martin2491, Oct 1, 2019.

1. Martin2491

Martin2491 Arachnopeon

Uk
    Advertisement
    So I have a 4" A Seemanni, not sexed yet, I will show some photos to try and get some answers.
    I have a mix of coco fibre and vermiculite.
    Approximately 6" deep to allow burrowing.
    A hide for s/he to start to burrow, the humidity is definitely fine as I have to fill the water dish up everyday! S/he feeds very well, however during the night/morning s/he still wants to climb..
    S/he is inside her hide atm as everytime I open the lid she's so skittish.
    Should I worry about changing anything or is the climbing and skittish behaviour normal for this species?

Attached Files:

2. Thekla

Thekla Arachnoprince Arachnosupporter

Your enclosure looks great. And as long as there's no fall risk (meaning, no more than 1,5xDLS of height between sub and the top), I'd just leave her be. She's probably still settling in. This species and obligate burrowers in general can take a long time to settle in.

Just to be sure... the substrate is slightly moist and well packed, right? ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Martin2491

Martin2491 Arachnopeon

Uk
    Yes, slightly moist and packed down very well by hand. Thankyou I hope the next molt I can determine the sex.

• Like Like x 1
  4. ThatsUnpossible

ThatsUnpossible Arachnosquire Active Member

UK
    It might be wicking out.

I found my water was disappearing quickly because pieces of moss or substrate were hanging into the water dish and wicking it out. I had to move my dish in the end, where I had it was where the t was piling her dirt from digging. Now it stays full.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Wicking could be causing water loss (in fact, ime, it's the most common cause of water dish 'leakage' -- esp if you have to refill daily). Just a tiny strand of webbing leading to substrate can empty a dish overnight. Best test is to wash dish thoroughly and set it (full of water) on kitchen counter overnight -- if it's still full the next morning, then the dish itself is not leaking, it's being wicked out or T is spilling it.

But my A seemanni likes to actually sit in her water dish sometimes (and yes, soil is slightly damp in 1/2 her tank), but I imagine her sitting in her dish also simply displaces a lot of water. Never knew an Aphonopelma to love water so much!!!

Good luck with your new T and congratulations!!!

• Like Like x 2
  6. cold blood

cold blood Moderator Staff Member

1. Humidity isnt relevant....only damp sub is needed.

2. Having to fill a clean dish daily is in no way shape or form an indicator of proper humidity or anything....if anything, it would indicate the opposite, that the enclosure is too dry.

3. As mentioned, its not evaporating that fast, nor is the t drinking that much....ts drink infrequently and not great amounts....the only thing a daily empty water dish is an indicator of is that the water is wicking out in the substrate via either webbing or sub touching the side of the dish. Clean the rim of the dish.

Set up does look good...just keep in mind that the deepest part of the substrate is what needs to be damp, the surface is not nearly as important.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.