A. seemanni bathing?

JuGGaL0K0W

Arachnopeon
hey ya'll still new to this and had a quick question... my A. seemanni or THE STIG as i call it, really likes hanging out on top of the water dish with 1-2 legs always being in the water. Is this normal for them or??

Londoner

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Could well be a sign you need to raise the humidity in the cage. Is the spider on dry substrate? If so, try wetting a portion of the sub (don't make it sopping wet... just damp).

Do you know if you have a true A. seemanni? A lot of Ts being sold as such are actually Aphonopelma sp. Guatamala.

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Could well be a sign you need to raise the humidity in the cage. Is the spider on dry substrate? If so, try wetting a portion of the sub (don't make it sopping wet... just damp).

Do you know if you have a true A. seemanni? A lot of Ts being sold as such are actually Aphonopelma sp. Guatamala.
I second this ^ and here is a thread about A. sp. Guatemala. There is a picture in there of one of them molting in its water dish, so it is worth a look. We have found that ours seems to appreciate higher humidity as well.

Stan Schultz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
hey ya'll still new to this and had a quick question... my A. seemanni or THE STIG as i call it, really likes hanging out on top of the water dish with 1-2 legs always being in the water. Is this normal for them or??
It's a sure sign that, with the advent of winter, the humidity has dropped too low in its cage.

DON'T WET THE SUBSTRATE! Wet substrate provides a place for vermin and infections to start.

DON'T MIST OR SPRAY THE CAGE. This is a waste of time and it annoys the tarantula. Worse yet, it makes you think you've done something significant when you really haven't, and you could lose the tarantula.

Instead, use a slightly larger water dish and cover almost all the open part of the cage with plastic food wrap.

For more information perform a search as recommended in http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showpost.php?p=1789558&postcount=9.

Best of luck. Enjoy your little 8-legged buddy.

JuGGaL0K0W

Arachnopeon
well it was sold to me from a pet store under the name stripe leg. It is Blonde/brownish and does look like the other T's in the link. I will try your suggestions right away and post the results.. also ill get some pics of it up in the classification to get a idea of what he/she is....
Thank you for the Help

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Does it have orange spinnerettes? If so, it is definitely A. seemani or sp. "Guatemala."

JuGGaL0K0W

Arachnopeon
there is orange spinnerets on her... have a pic up for "proper" identification ... she's back to wandering her cage and setting up her burrow... thank you very much for the information it helped alot

Londoner

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
there is orange spinnerets on her... have a pic up for "proper" identification ... she's back to wandering her cage and setting up her burrow... thank you very much for the information it helped alot
From your pic I'd say you have A. sp. Guatemala, and it looks like quite the kicker from the look of that rump :).

JuGGaL0K0W

Arachnopeon
yeah thats the way i bought her from the LPS... cant wait to see what she looks like with all her hair back.. funny thing she has never kicked hairs at me at all.