A. seemanni & B.albopilosum Dietary Health Concern/Question

Androxian

Arachnopeon
Hello all,

I've seen this question thrown around a lot on the internet and a have seen a bunch of answers to it, however, I would like to ask it with regards to my two tarantulas in particular. I have an Aphonopelma seemanni and a Brachypelma albopilosum as my first two and only tarantulas at the moment.

They both were extremely thin when I got them around a month and a half ago, but now they're really starting to put on some thickness in their abdomens. My B. albopilosum is probably 4-4.5 inches DLS and my A. seemani is probably 4.5-5 inches DLS and their abdomens are beginning to get rather large. I have been feeding them a singular cricket every other day or two days in between feedings, and I've only ever gotten refusals from both tarantulas one time.

Here are top down photos of the A. seemanni & B. albopilosum in question:
A. seemanni female: https://imgur.com/a/HQzXE1k
B. albopilosum suspected female: https://imgur.com/a/Y8R0Pby

As you can see, their abdomens are indeed becoming very large. My number one priority with my tarantulas is for them to live long, healthy lives while they're in my care. I love my tarantulas, and because it is my responsibility as their keeper to ensure their well being I ask you, the community, this:
How often should I feed the both of them from now on, so that I do NOT jeopardize their health?

I look forward to everyone's response, and will be more than happy to provide any additional information if it helps to answer the question.

Thank you all in advance,
~Andro

Andrew Clayton

Arachnobaron
you're Ts look perfectly healthy, if you're feeding crickets I'd give you're B. Albo 2 or 3 a week and feed the A. Seemani slightly less just because they are known to take quite long fasting periods between molts so feeding them less should in theory keep them eating for longer between moults

Androxian

Arachnopeon
@Andrew Clayton Thanks for your input. I exclusively use crickets for feeding, so I will keep to your suggested schedule. I'm glad to know they look healthy from a 3rd party perspective. As for the A. seemanni, it was funny you mentioned that because I certainly recall a week of tricky feedings, and I was under the impression a molt was coming, then sure enough one day a cricket went atop her burrow and I've never seen her strike so quickly.

I think I'll keep to once every other day until I get my first molt from both these T's, they've yet to do it since I've had them, and then after that I'll make adjustments to their schedules.

Thanks so much for your input though, you've put a novice keeper's mind at ease, knowing they look healthy to you. That is my primary concern for them, ensuring they live long happy healthy lives, and I try my hardest to provide that for them.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I personally didnt have schedules. I some periids fed less and some periods fed more to simulate nature. But normaly if they where big juveniles and adults, 3 crickets a week. AT MOST!

Andrew Clayton

Arachnobaron
@Andrew Clayton Thanks for your input. I exclusively use crickets for feeding, so I will keep to your suggested schedule. I'm glad to know they look healthy from a 3rd party perspective. As for the A. seemanni, it was funny you mentioned that because I certainly recall a week of tricky feedings, and I was under the impression a molt was coming, then sure enough one day a cricket went atop her burrow and I've never seen her strike so quickly.

I think I'll keep to once every other day until I get my first molt from both these T's, they've yet to do it since I've had them, and then after that I'll make adjustments to their schedules.

Thanks so much for your input though, you've put a novice keeper's mind at ease, knowing they look healthy to you. That is my primary concern for them, ensuring they live long happy healthy lives, and I try my hardest to provide that for them.
when I say 2 or 3 a week for you're b albo you can toss all them in on the same day you're T looks big enough to take all 3 in the one go and it means you are disturbing the T less, if the T isn't interested remove them and try again a week later and for the a seemani if you want to feed it 3 aswell just do the same but make it every 10 days that's what I'd do at that stage. as they reach adult sizes increase the time between feeding

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I wouldn't be feeding that albopilosum that much. One or two crickets a week are more than enough at that size. Same with the seemanni. If they are looking a bit thin after their next moult, which I don't think is going to happen, then bump up the number of crickets for a couple of feedings. Otherwise, I would definitely cut back - especially for the albopilosum.

cold blood

Staff member
That feeding schedule is ridicolous....there is absolutely no reason to feed any t nearly that often....you are gonna end up with both of these ts fasting for a crazy length of time prior to molting.

Literally 2 or 3 crickets a month is plenty.

Important to note....all ts are at their thinnest just after molting....its 100% normal....a thin t isnt that way because of a lack of nutrition...its just how they grow.

Androxian

Arachnopeon
@VanessaS @cold blood @The Grym Reaper : Thank you everyone for your input. I thought my albopilosum was starting to look a little too big in the behind, which is why I asked this question in the first place. Like I mentioned above, I care more about their health more than anything. I'll change their schedules now, to prevent the fasting period before pre-molt most of you have mentioned.

Given their current conditions, I thinking I will cut them back to a single cricket once every three weeks, instead of what I was doing before. Again, I am a novice keeper, having only been at this a month and a half, so I very much appreciate your all's feedback, and for not crucifying me.

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
I just feed mine when I see them outside which is normally once or twice a week. When they refuse food, I wait a week, and if they refuse it the next week I try again in 2 weeks. If they don't come outside during that time I assume a molt is on the way and leave them be until I see them outside again or another 3 weeks have passed

Androxian

Arachnopeon
After speaking with some other individuals about the matter, I'm sticking with the following plan of action for these gals:

Their last feeding was 8/24.
I will wait one month until 9/14 at which point they both will get one cricket.
Then they will get their next one on 9/28.

So one month, no food, then one prey item every two weeks from then on out.

Thanks to all for your input. I truly appreciate it.