a. seemani not moving, eating.

malowie

Arachnopeon
im in dire need of help and im not sure whether my a. seemani is molting properly or is it dying. i have a feeling that it is molting standing, not lying on its back. im very very worried. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

i can see that the top of its base of its fangs are a bnit shiny, hairless and it looks as if its shedding the skin in the fang part only. its really fat and would there be any risks if it doesnt molt on its back?

here is a picture of it. its bending its legs.

malowie

Arachnopeon

this is a close up pic of it. note the shiny skin at the base of the fangs.

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
wow...bit heavy on the crickets eh? I've read that huge abdomens can cause potential problems when it comes time to molt, might wanna slow down on the food a bit ;) These are a sloooow growing species so it's gonna take some time to get some size, even with power feeding.

I haven't had any seemanis that small but I imagine their abdomens would be darker colored than that if it were indeed very close to a molt. I could be wrong...

sometimes T's have been known to molt right side up and suffered no ill effects. As for what yours is doing, I don't know...molts begin with the top of the carapace "popping" open, kind of like a soda bottle. You say yours has loose skin near the fangs, are you sure it's loose skin (exoskeleton)?

edit: your second post...that is normal for T's to be shiny there. At least mine are that way lol

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
side note: I feed my adult female A. seemani maybe once every 3-4 weeks and then she only gets 4-6 crickets and she stays quite plump.

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
it looks so fat that I don't know if it could move if it wanted to :D

as far as premolt...I wouldn't expect an impending molt judging by looking at it, but that's purely my opinion. I would expect the abdomen to darken up a good bit more, almost all dark brown/blackish, before I would expect an impending molt.

As long as it's not behaving weird (for a T) I wouldn't worry. my A. seemani has been known to do a great rock impersonation for 3-4+ days straight...

malowie

Arachnopeon
owh.. this fella has been a rock for the past 2 weeks!!!! i stopped feeding it since bcuz its really big in size.

i wonder why is the top part of the abdomen is very dark but the rest is not and there is like a bald patch on the middle part of the abdomen.

spider_fan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
If tarantulas had their own Jerry Springer type program, this one would definately be on it. How often do you feed this T?

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
2 crix a week. stopped since it bloated.
You should definitely not feed it again until it molts, I don't care if it takes a year. That thing is just CRUISING for a deadly abdomen injury. :eek: I hope you've got the substrate high (dirt to ceiling = legspan rule), because even a tiny fall is gonna be a death sentence with a butt that bloated. :eek: :eek:

Nitibus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Was it wild caught or captive bred ? If it was W/C, maybe it has something ?

CedrikG

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Oh my ... this is very ugly, why did you wait untill now before thinking '' Maybe I should stop''

This spider got no more Urticating hair's on its abdomen ... looks like a stressed up spider to me...

Last edited:

Nitibus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Wild caught hmmmm How long have you had it ? Shultz says some parasites in T's can live up to 2 years... Have you had it longer that that ?

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
its wild caught. i guess i overfed it. is it in a premolt state anyway?
If it was in premolt, the skin on its butt would be dark, almost black. Right now it's just really freaking fat. ;) Stop feeding it, make sure the enclosure is safe, and also stop feeding it.

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have one of my sub adult T's get away from me and is quite fat but I don't think I've ever seen one this out of proportion. That T is not in premolt yet. Even at a huge size, if it were, it would be a darker color. It is, no doubt, getting ready for premolt. Just make sure it can reach some water and wait. It should be fine. One other thing. At that size, don't force it to move anywhere. It is not able to pick up and carry it's own butt around and that could cause sores to appear which might cuase molting problems. Just let it be a rock for a while.

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
No problem. I know it can be nerve racking when your not sure what is happening to your pet so there is no reason for my post to add to your stress.