A. seemani conditions ok?

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
i ask this question b/c my seemani seems rather lazy lately. i know she is not approaching a molt (thought i would say this before someone asked) b/c she molted about 4-5 months ago. she doesn't move much like she used to, acts real lazy, hangs out on the side of the glass a lot. i have her on deep potting soil in a 10-gal tank, with a hide, a water dish, and about 40/50% humidity. recieves indirect sunlight. day temp: 65/70. night temp: around 60 give or take. anybody got any suggestions???:confused:

Amanda

Arachnolord
Old Timer
My girl never comes out of her hole, so if you figure it out, let me know. :wall:

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
she doesn't move much like she used to, acts real lazy
There's nothing wrong with her. Congrats, what you have is a normal tarantula. It's when they're ACTIVE that something is wrong. :)

Hanging out on the side of the glass *can* be a sign that she doesn't like her substrate--is it kept too wet? Too dry? (I don't remember what this species prefers.) Any sign of mites in the soil? If not, then nothing's wrong there either, sometimes they just do that.

60 at night is a bit too cold, 65 is the safer low point.

My girl never comes out of her hole, so if you figure it out, let me know. :wall:
I believe they're a burrowing species, so you may as well get used to this. ;)

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
There's nothing wrong with her. Congrats, what you have is a normal tarantula. It's when they're ACTIVE that something is wrong. :)

Hanging out on the side of the glass *can* be a sign that she doesn't like her substrate--is it kept too wet? Too dry? (I don't remember what this species prefers.) Any sign of mites in the soil? If not, then nothing's wrong there either, sometimes they just do that.

60 at night is a bit too cold, 65 is the safer low point.

substrate is new, has nothing wrong (no mites), kept pretty dry but has a big water dish. i can't believe they are a burrowing species. mine never has expressed an inclination to burrow. or even tried. just sits out in the open. but 60 might be too cold? what happens then? just slower metabolism, growth, etc?

timwaters2007

Arachnopeon
I know some tarantulas like g.rosea and b.smithi like drier conditions but cant you make your humidity 10% higher. I keep my roseas and smithis around 60-70%...50-60% seems a bit dry for an a.seemani

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
substrate is new, has nothing wrong (no mites), kept pretty dry but has a big water dish. i can't believe they are a burrowing species. mine never has expressed an inclination to burrow. or even tried. just sits out in the open. but 60 might be too cold? what happens then? just slower metabolism, growth, etc?
Oh, if the substrate is NEW, that explains it. Give it a few weeks and she'll get used to it. And yes, slower metabolism, but also like any animal they can freeze to death. Now, I don't think 60 at night is going to be anything remotely that bad, but that's probably the lowest you want to let it get, you know?

Obviously wild animals can be tougher than we think, but it probably shouldn't be risked if we can help it.

Amanda

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Lol, I know. It's just that she NEVER comes out, unless she's diurnal and I don't know it. I'm up all night and I never see her. She's a full grown adult, and she molted a couple months ago, so it's not that. Don't get me wrong... I'm thrilled that she's happy, secure, and doing exactly what she's supposed to be doing, but c'mon! I see my H. lividum every day! :rolleyes:

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
i never check the humidity on my A. seemani tanks. I keep bone dry substrate of 100%peat and a water dish. Neither of mine burrow in , thy have excavated an area under the half log hides and sit there most of the time however sometimes they sit out in the open.. but sitting is the key word . i seldom see them move unless its to catch a cricket or a roach lol