A. seemani blue form

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
What precisely makes an A. seemani a blue form? I have been trying to understand but i cant. I notiecs a bunch of slings called blue form for sale at 1/4" and was wondering how can you tell at that size? From what i understand( and i could be wrong) you can breed a blue male and female and still the slings may be plain old black ones.
Also, most that i have seen (adults) recently called blue form were black wit a very slight blue tinge. My regular seemani is more bluish than what i have seen some of the ones called blue BUT i saw one on here a good while back that was sure enough blue. so what gives.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I honestly dont think there is little if any difference between the "blue" and "normal" form (whatever is normal for this sp)
The reason I say this is because several years ago I bought a common run of the mill seemani from a pet store that was more than likely wild caught. This spider was dirt brown. It molted about 8 months after I got it and guess what???? It was blue!!! It has been blue ever since and it molts twice a year now.
This is my theory and I could be wrong as I have been before but I think the ones from the wild dont grow as fast which means the exoskeleton has some time on it so it fades to the dirt brown color like you see in pet stores all the time.
Surely others here have noticed the same thing?

arrowhd

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I'm thinking the same thing as Brian. My male looked blue in certain lighting and black other times. I'm not convinced there is any difference at all.

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
My "blue" female ranges from pre-molt brown to post-molt deep blue. My "brown" female ranges from pre-molt brown to post-molt dark brown. I think there are many subtle color variations within this species.