A reptile in the rain

dragonblade71

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Not too long ago, I was taking a walk on my folks' rural property on Kangaroo Island. It was a cold and overcast morning so I was surprised to see this guy.

[/url][/IMG]

This is a Rosenberg's Goanna (Varanus rosenbergi.) This particular individual was not too far from it's burrow. It began to rain very lightly and I must say that this was probably the only time that I have seen a reptile, lizard or otherwise, out in the rain. It allowed me to get reasonably close with my 50mm standard lens but when I got too close, it promptly made it's way back to it's burrow.

Ignore the purple colouration. The exposed negative was pretty thin, despite me giving it a bit of overexposure. The resulting print was very washed out and flat so I took it to a lab to get scanned. Colour and contrast were manipuated by the lab which certainly increases the impact but the colour is not that accurate! Additionally, I wonder if Flickr does anything to the image...the resized file looks sharper than what is displayed here.

ZephAmp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Interesting. I'd be shocked to see a lizard out in the rain. I see eastern and butler's garters in the rain all the time, though.

Lolita

Arachnoknight
thats so cool i wish i could walk around and find stuff like that mostly i just find horned lizards and bullsnakes though

dragonblade71

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
thats so cool i wish i could walk around and find stuff like that mostly i just find horned lizards and bullsnakes though
It's great when I see them out and about. Always special. Though I only see them once in a while. Even in Summer, there can be weeks where I won't see any. Other times, I can be lucky and see two in the same day. When I was camping here over two years ago, I was just about to enter my tent when I saw a goanna inside! Horned lizards sound intriguing.

Lolita

Arachnoknight
It's great when I see them out and about. Always special. Though I only see them once in a while. Even in Summer, there can be weeks where I won't see any. Other times, I can be lucky and see two in the same day. When I was camping here over two years ago, I was just about to enter my tent when I saw a goanna inside! Horned lizards sound intriguing.
horned lizards pretty much to me at least look like very tiny bearded dragons