a quick question

JimM

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Yes and no...too many variables.
Species, age of sling, environment, and individual tendencies.

yarndilwuck

Arachnopeon
ok another quick question... is a ten gal tank cut in half so its a 5 gal tank too large for a 3/4 inch b smithi sling... i think i already know the answer but pics and advise would be helpful

JimM

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Tanks only get too large because of feeding issues. He's not likely to find his food in such a large area.
Really it just complicates your husbandry.

Honestly, one of those small deli cups, you know the ones that hold maybe 2 tablespoons? That's plenty of space, AND you can find him if you need to.

yarndilwuck

Arachnopeon
yeah i just went to look for him and somehow he got past the barrier into the other half of the tank!

JimM

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Divided tanks are normally a bad idea for that exact reason.
Despite what some say, you CAN do this if you construct/divide the tank properly. Generally though it's not the best solution. Each T should have his own separate enclosure.

Stan Schultz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Divided tanks are normally a bad idea for that exact reason.
Despite what some say, you CAN do this if you construct/divide the tank properly. Generally though it's not the best solution. Each T should have his own separate enclosure.
Yup! Amen and Hallelujah! Right on! By the time you finish with all the work, and expense, and fooling around, and (usually) making the whole assembly look very amateurish you might better have gone to Wally World or your friendly neighborhood pet shop, bought a Kritter Keeper, and got it over with quickly, cheaply, and relatively painlessly. Use the larger cage for tropical fish, giant Brazilian forest cockroaches, a place to throw spare change, ...

Not the answer you wanted, maybe. But often, reality bites. Sorry.

(Bonus: After you accumulate enough spare change in that tank you can buy another tarantula AND another cage too!)