A question to the experts

Dylan Bruce

Arachnosquire
Hey guys,

So for the last day my B.smithi was on the roof of her enclosure. The substrate is packed quite high so I wasn't worried about it hurting itself if it fell. However there is a strip of mesh in the enclosure for ventilation as you will see in the picture (it's the spider shop uk's own enclosure) and the spider seemed to be able to walk around on the mesh no problem but struggling to move to the glass or get down. I used a straw to encourage it down and after a few minutes it climbed on to the glass and slowly slid down to the substrate. Did I do the right thing by trying to encourage it down or should I just have left it be. I know they can take care of themselves but I hate to think it had got itself into a situation it couldn't get out of and end up injuring itself. 20170204_140125.jpg 20170204_140131.jpg

Shudragon

Arachnopeon
I gotta be honest thats a pretty big fall for a terrestrial. I've never experienced it myself but seen examples and at least on the lower slope side that is way too far of a potential fall.

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hey guys,

So for the last day my B.smithi was on the roof of her enclosure. The substrate is packed quite high so I wasn't worried about it hurting itself if it fell. However there is a strip of mesh in the enclosure for ventilation as you will see in the picture (it's the spider shop uk's own enclosure) and the spider seemed to be able to walk around on the mesh no problem but struggling to move to the glass or get down. I used a straw to encourage it down and after a few minutes it climbed on to the glass and slowly slid down to the substrate. Did I do the right thing by trying to encourage it down or should I just have left it be. I know they can take care of themselves but I hate to think it had got itself into a situation it couldn't get out of and end up injuring itself. View attachment 230726 View attachment 230727
It sounds like it's just exploring to me.

That "mesh" looks like its better than that fiberglass or metal window bug mesh people use where tarantulas get stuck.

My large LP did this exact thing. My enclosure does have a bit more substrate, but your particular style of enclosure doesn't look like it will allow much more. People generally recommend no more than a 2x legspan between sub and lid.

I'd say just let 'er be and add a water dish (no sponge, rocks, gel, etc.).

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Looks fine to me, except there's a waterdish missing ;).
The 'mesh' isn't so much mesh but a metal strip with holes in it.
I think you are using a heat pad/mat, considering the little device in front of the enclosure? If yes, make sure it is high up the enclosure, and not underneath it.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
The enclosure isn't the best for a B.smithi (mind, I like those kind of cheap and glass enclosures we have here in Europe, I have those as well for some of my T's) and while indeed you did a right (and necessary, in this case) thing adding substrate for reduce the possible damage if a 'climb and fall' risk occur, I fail to realize, no 'fence, why you didn't opted for a cheap classic "terrestrial" KK in the first place, since IMO those are of best for medium sized NW terrestrial T's, with only 20 cm of height and a bit more of floor space :-s

Plus the substrate is too wet, no matter if at the bottom: bone dry coco fiber (or Irish peat moss, or topsoil) and a water dish are enough for that genus.

Btw I see an Exo device... uhm, I wouldn't be concerned at all about temperature (unless if you are living in a really too cold environment) nor the humidity level.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
That "mesh" looks like its better than that fiberglass or metal window bug mesh people use where tarantulas get stuck.
Yes. A lot of us here in Europe has those in arboreal (and not only) enclosures and as far as I know there's no issues. I love those glass enclosures, I have a very taller one I use for arboreals.

With the money of one "Exo that you need to change/replace the top" I buy 5 like the one I use :-s

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Hey guys,

So for the last day my B.smithi was on the roof of her enclosure. The substrate is packed quite high so I wasn't worried about it hurting itself if it fell. However there is a strip of mesh in the enclosure for ventilation as you will see in the picture (it's the spider shop uk's own enclosure) and the spider seemed to be able to walk around on the mesh no problem but struggling to move to the glass or get down. I used a straw to encourage it down and after a few minutes it climbed on to the glass and slowly slid down to the substrate. Did I do the right thing by trying to encourage it down or should I just have left it be. I know they can take care of themselves but I hate to think it had got itself into a situation it couldn't get out of and end up injuring itself. View attachment 230726 View attachment 230727
I would rehouse that B. smithi into a more appropriate enclosure for a terrestrial species. Especially one that can potentially acquire quite a large abdomen from eating.
Currently I would be afraid of it falling from the lower side of the slope since that is still a bit of a distance. I would also set up the new enclosure without that kind of slope. Give it level ground and let it burrow the way it wants to (or if it does not want to then give it the right kind of hide so it can just retreat in there if desired). Also, I am not sure if that is a water dish in there that I see in the corner but if it does not have one then it needs one.

Dylan Bruce

Arachnosquire
Looks fine to me, except there's a waterdish missing ;).
I think you are using a heat pad/mat, considering the little device in front of the enclosure?
There is a small waterdish I there it's just hiding in the corner. And no I'm not using a heat mat I have heard a few bad stories about them. I just use a thermometer to keep an eye on the Temps and make sure they don't drop too low:)

Dylan Bruce

Arachnosquire
Btw I see an Exo device... uhm, I wouldn't be concerned at all about temperature (unless if you are living in a really too cold environment) nor the humidity level.
Yeah I live in Scotland and it can get quite cold at this time of year. I just like to make sure the Temps don't drop too low

Dylan Bruce

Arachnosquire
I gotta be honest thats a pretty big fall for a terrestrial
When I ordered the spider I was told it had a 5cm Dls and the gap between the substrate and the top of the enclosure is 9cm. Do you think the spider is a little smaller than I was told?

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
When I ordered the spider I was told it had a 5cm Dls and the gap between the substrate and the top of the enclosure is 9cm. Do you think the spider is a little smaller than I was told?
Cannot venture a guess on the size of the spider without an object of known size for comparison to observe it with.

It looks like a nice specimen in any case. But I would get a new enclosure all the same.

Dylan Bruce

Arachnosquire
It looks like a nice specimen in any case. But I would get a new enclosure all the same.
Yeah it's an absolute beauty I was really pleased when I received it. I think it may be in pre moult at the minute so I was going to hang off on any changes to the enclosure including changing the substrate as it is a little damp near the bottom.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Yeah it's an absolute beauty I was really pleased when I received it. I think it may be in pre moult at the minute so I was going to hang off on any changes to the enclosure including changing the substrate as it is a little damp near the bottom.
If it is in pre molt it's a good time to rehouse it as it will be a bit more sluggish. Many people purposely rehouse their specimens when they are noticeably in pre molt in order to make the process easier.

Walker253

Arachnobaron
The other issue aside, the mesh isn't one of them. The screen mesh that is an issue is that fine screen used that is also commonly used on windows. The thicker stuff like you have there doesn't tend to be an issue. I wouldn't see anything getting hung up there.
I don't think you need a rehouse too a new enclosure, but more substrate would be a good thing