A question, regarding webbing.

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Ok folks,

If anyone read my rant about my dead H. lividum, you'll know I found it bone dry thanks to my roommate. Now that I've settled down and killed his first born in return, I have a question about it.

The first thing I noticed when I looked in on my Cobalt blue, was the fact that it was balled up into a dead T pose. The second thing I noticed, was that I could SEE it was balled up into a dead T pose. Prior to my leaving, it had dug it's burrow along the wall, and where it sat usually, was covered entirely with webbing. Totally opaque, save for a few spots where I might see occasional movement.

So, my question is...

As humidity reaches critically low levels, atleast for tropical species, what happens to the webbing? Does it simply desicate and vanish? This seems wrong to me, because I see webbing all over the basement, outside, etc.. in much drier conditions. Does the T eat the webbing as a last ditch resort for getting moisture, somehow? Any fact based, as well as anecdotal, experience would be appreciated.

Bill

mebebraz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
in my opinion it will stay, wont change at all, Ive moved t's to different cages and three months later go to put a new t in an old cage and have to clean out the webbing from the old t.

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Bill, it could just be coincidence. I've seen my Avics periodically remove all the webbing on a section of glass while doing some remodeling. Your T may have just been doing something similar when the combined stress of no food, low moisture, and chilling temps did it in.

ArachnoJoost

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Maybe it ate the webbing to try to get the nutrients and maybe some of the moisture in the webbing as a desperate act to stay alive. I know of the orb-weaving spiders eating their own web (sort of recycling).
just a thought,
Joost

anthony2561

Banned
Old Timer
If un-disturbed, the webbing will stay forever!! If moved it will go away, but it will saty as long as ur eyes can see it....

~Neil Diamond~