A question about sperm web

fatich

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
How can I understand wheter my male made a sperm web or not ?

popcangenie

Arachnosquire
they will make a large web more then likly up up a wall and will sit in it (mine dose this upside down) and the pick at it with its palps then destroy it

yep.

fatich

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thank you for information, but what about if l didnt see the webbing,as l know after making it , they destroy that sperm web.

Londoner

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
When did your T complete his mature molt? As long as it wasn't within the last week or two, he's probably already made a sperm-web and loaded up. Sometimes MMs will roll the webbing up and trample it into the sub, making it hard to spot the remains.

Stan Schultz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
How can I understand wheter my male made a sperm web or not ?
Is it a mature male?

As mentioned in another post, 10 days to 2 weeks after they experience their ultimate molt they usually build their first sperm web. But there are exceptions. There are ALWAYS exceptions!

You can get a pretty good idea that a sperm web was produced if you wait until the room is rather dark and use a flashlight to light the walls of the cage and any ornaments or furnishings from an angle. If he built a sperm web and destroyed it you should be able to see one or more of the following.

1) An almost invisible layer or film of silk on some vertical surface.

2) Some tatters of torn silk hanging from a vertical surface.

3) A trampled patch of silk laying on the substrate very near some vertical surface (usually the cage wall).

Even if you don't see these, you may assume that one was built and the male is ready for mating at about two weeks after his ultimate molt.

Occasionally, an adult male must be introduced to a female before his hormones kick in and he begins building sperm webs. In this case, you put them together anyway as though they were going to mate. (Mind all the recommendations for preventing him from being attacked and eaten!) Who knows, he (and you!) might get lucky!

If nothing happens, put him back in his cage (or remove the female) and wait 2 or 3 days. Then try it again.

Don't give up merely because you don't see a sperm web. And, give him plenty of opportunities to breed, not just once.

Best of luck. Let us know how things turned out.

boonbear

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
3) A trampled patch of silk laying on the substrate very near some vertical surface (usually the cage wall).

This was how I found my vagans sperm web. I didn't see it making one, but after several frustrated weeks I looked in his viv and found his trampled web on the ground. It looked to me like a slightly thicker version of a molting mat.

Treynok

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I was fortunate enough to see my rosea male make his the other day, I'm pretty sure he made one around the 2 week mark and then another just yesterday which would be at about the month and 2 week mark. Seeing him do it was one of the coolest things I've seen so far building and loading up. But look for any heavier than normal webbing like they said it should be there somewhere maybe laying in the substrate looking like nothing more than a clump or small ball of web pressed to the dirt, there should be some sign of it somewhere though.

boonbear

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
On a side note, I got my female vagans to be a little more receptive to the MM by placing the used sperm web in her enclosure (at least she seemed more receptive to me). I'm sure that isn't a proven method, but I don't think it hurts to try it if you ever have a hard time getting the mood right.