a question about B. vagans and B. albopilosum

bliss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
ive seen places on the internet that have hybrid T's, mainly a cross between B albopilosum and vagans. TRUST ME, I DONT INTEND TO DO ANY INTERBREEDING, but i was just wondering about this, i saw it on scottstarantulas.com. Any info about this???

thanks all

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
there's a lot of these 'albogans' hybrids around in europe. these spec.s interbreed readily, and i think someone mentioned the offspring is fertile. no guarantee on that though.

their adult coloration is not as beautiful as either vagans or albopilosum - the hybrids i've seen lacked the prominent red hairs on the abdomen and deep black of the vagans as well as the subtle gold of the albos. they look a bit 'dirty', because the long, lighter hairs dull the dark coloration.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I had seen a few pictures of them a while back and I agree, bred together they are very unflattering in color phase. They look well drab and boring. Perfect example of why its better to leave well enough alone. Each one is beautiful seperatly but mixed they look mute.

bliss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
oh, ok ive seen pics of the slings, and ive actually talked to a guy who's done this-- he says the same thing.... not very impressing. i mean, it's interesting and all, but as most of you have said... better left alone. :)

plus, if im not mistaken, hybrids and breeding of different sp. kinda gets shunned by most hobbyists. but for good reason.

Last edited:

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
oh, ok ive seen pics of the slings, and ive actually talked to a guy who's done this-- he says the same thing.... not very impressing. i mean, it's interesting and all, but as most of you have said... better left alone. :)

plus, if im not mistaken, hybrids and breeding of different sp. kinda gets shunned by most hobbyists. but for good reason.
Can one of yall post the picture of an adult mix from these "species"

Pyst

Arachnoknight
Old Timer

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I've seen them Daniel. I've seen pictures on the web, and a couple of T breeders selling them. I have to admit I don't much see the point. They aren't very pretty, they lack the vagans beautiful black velvet legs and long red abdomen hairs, and they don't really get the gold on the carapace or the long wavy gold leg hairs of the albos.
I don't know who started breeding them, but I do know it is still done. I also don't know if they breed the crossbreeds to each other to get more or if they take one vagans and one albo and do it that way. I never really thought about it because they are pretty silly in my opinion.
By the way, everyone is doing great!!!!! Miss GBB is eating like a horse!!!!!