A. purpurea

dayredfern

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
hi just got a A. purpurea and wanna know at what point it will turn purple? Also how much are they worth as im gettin another very soon.

also how many ppl have 1 of these

Last edited:

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
hi just got a A. purpurea and wanna know at what point it will turn purple? Also how much are they worth as im gettin another very soon.

also how many ppl have 1 of these
How big is it now? It will prolly start turning purple after the 1 1/2 " mark.

Varden

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Try more like 2". You'll still see some striping, but then the baby patterns disappear and by 2.5-3", you get a lovely purplish sheen all over. I've got several and a sac of nymph babies getting ready to molt into 1st instar.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Try more like 2". You'll still see some striping, but then the baby patterns disappear and by 2.5-3", you get a lovely purplish sheen all over. I've got several and a sac of nymph babies getting ready to molt into 1st instar.
Yep thats correct or at least thats how mine was.

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I agree. Around the 2 inch mark is when my male really started getting color. He had lost his butt stripes by then, and was a really pretty color on his legs and carapace.

Alakdan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
This is a timely thread. I also have a 1/2" purpurea. With or without the purple coloration it still looks so cool!

I will wait for that day when it hits the 2" mark.

Also, which size would be most ideal before I could determine the sex my purpurea?

gumby

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I wonder if time of year or season is something that affects this T having a sac. There seem to be many people with sacs or new hatched sacs from A. purpurea.
scott

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I wonder if time of year or season is something that affects this T having a sac. There seem to be many people with sacs or new hatched sacs from A. purpurea.
scott
Probably alot of males matured at about the same time from a previous sac and were sent off to breed. Anyway that is what I would say.

Varden

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Probably alot of males matured at about the same time from a previous sac and were sent off to breed. Anyway that is what I would say.
It's not the male that determines the schedules of the sacs, it's the females. ;) Female's have all the power.

Outside temperatures, barometer pressure, storm activities in your area, might have a bearing on when females' determine sacs should be laid. As well as her enclosure's temperatures and her feeding schedule.

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
It's not the male that determines the schedules of the sacs, it's the females. ;) Female's have all the power.
But females need males. If there are no males available, there will be no sacs laid. A batch of males mature, all go out, all mate females, females lay sacs many at roughly the same time. Then there is a large number of slings being produced, which perhaps what happened with A. purpurea.

-Sean

Scorpendra

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
my first T was an A. purpurea. isn't someone manageing to raise his first ever T from a 1 3/4 ich sling something? sadly, she died a little over a month ago; her fangs never hardened after her last molt, i think it was because of the humidity while she was molting.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

Outside temperatures, barometer pressure, storm activities in your area, might have a bearing on when females' determine sacs should be laid. As well as her enclosure's temperatures and her feeding schedule.
Obviously true, but what I am saying is that there were probably several males matured out at the same time which is why there are several sacs now of this species. None of them are gonna drop sacs without a mature male ya know.

KJE

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have 3 of these. They are between 1 and 1.5" right now. They seem to be growing VERY slowly! They are adorable at this size. Although, I can't wait to see them when they mature.

It does seem like slings come in spurts. I know that whenever I've had a male mature I see a lot of others listed for breeding loan of the same species. I do agree that it could be because the female senses the season/weather and decides it is time. Although, without a male she wouldn't be deciding anything. :D

funnylori

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My sling is a year old, about 1.5 inches and just starting to show some purple.

gumby

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
my first T was an A. purpurea. isn't someone manageing to raise his first ever T from a 1 3/4 ich sling something? sadly, she died a little over a month ago; her fangs never hardened after her last molt, i think it was because of the humidity while she was molting.
Im sure there are many being raised from slings. I know I have a few Ive raised from slings.
scott

Kimo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
What do you think by : "because of the humidity while she was molting"? Not enough or much more, can excesive humidity make some problems during the molt? Not to mention fungus and other stuff similar.

funnylori

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have had my sling about a year, she emmerged from the eggsack around the new year. The sack was made around thanksgivingish. She started to show some purple around Septemberish this year, so give or take 9-10 months, or 8ish molts. She just molted today so I will give you an update on her color just as soon as she hardens up a bit and ventures out of her hole.

You can see her progress before this last molt on the first page of my pictures thread: http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=81481 You will have to note that her purple coloring only showed in that picture because of the amazing chance the flash caught it. She was never in the right light for me to see it that clearly.