A. purpurea vs A. sp. Peru purple

Earthworm Soul

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I picked up some supposed A. purpureas a few months ago and I'm beginning to suspect they may actually be the Peru purples. I'd love if someone could post a clear dorsal pic of 1.25-1.5" specimens of each for comparison.

I'm going to be pissed if they're not purpurea.

AbraCadaver

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Could you post a few pics of your spiders? Purpureas are quite distinct looking at that size..

mitchrobot

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
a.purpurea is pretty unique looking at small sizes. they are either white and black, or black and copper purple, then they turn purple black.

the peru purples i believe always have red on the rump and orange leg warmers at a smaller size like many other avics.

heres a smallish purpurea

CAK

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hey Jay, I can't see pics from work, but if you think about it, can you fire one over to my phone of your lil guy? I'm going to be curious about this as well!

Later bro!

Joe

Earthworm Soul

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Needless to say, I'm a bit upset with how much this is looking like something other than a purpurea...

peterock44

Arachnopeon
sure dont look anything like any purpurea i have ever seen. id contact the seller and see if he/she will set things right.

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Needless to say, I'm a bit upset with how much this is looking like something other than a purpurea...
That doesn't look like an A. purpurea at all. Here is a pic of ours when little bitty, can't give you more of a size guesstimate than that. It stayed that color for some time, but gradually got darker until this last molt it is showing the full rich purple.

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
Nope, Earthworm, def. not purpurea. How the seller could have confused the two, even as slings, is a head scratcher.

Earthworm Soul

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Suppose I shouldn't have mentioned to him that I hadn't kept many Avics. When I first got them, they were still very small. I assumed they went through a color change as they grew. I knew something was rotten when it started showing a lot of red forming on abdomen. That's what you get when you trust people I guess. :mad:

I don't think I'm going to be able to get him to make amends, he was a local guy that was getting ready to move out of state. If he has a profile on here, I don't know who he is. So, Jeff Knight, in case you're reading this, you suck and I hope you didn't get that job.