A. purpurea temp sensitivity?

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I'm considering some A. purpurea as my next purchase, but saw on petcenterusa website that they must be kept strictly between 80 and 85 degrees. Has any one heard this before? Or had success with temps in the 70s?

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
all tarantulas can be kept between 70-80. i'd be nervous if it gets to mid 60s. theres a ton of crap info online, take it all with a grain of salt.

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Ok cool. I've never had any issues with 70-75 degrees. Just wanted to make sure.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'm considering some A. purpurea as my next purchase, but saw on petcenterusa website that they must be kept strictly between 80 and 85 degrees. Has any one heard this before? Or had success with temps in the 70s?
This is BULL. I own one, and it's growing fast, prob a male. My temps are 75F day/68 night in winter at times.

A couple of Avic breeders have told me they tend to be slow growers relative to other Avics. I haven't noticed that at all, but again I only own 1. This one is growing as fast as my A. versi., and this was before I thought it was male too.

Another reason not to trust a known smuggler, misinformation.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
This is BULL. I own one, and it's growing fast, prob a male. My temps are 75F day/68 night in winter at times.

A couple of Avic breeders have told me they tend to be slow growers relative to other Avics. I haven't noticed that at all, but again I only own 1. This one is growing as fast as my A. versi., and this was before I thought it was male too.

Another reason not to trust a known smuggler, misinformation.
very true, the care i see on that site, ridiculous. apparently, avics need to have condensation. lol

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
very true, the care i see on that site, ridiculous. apparently, avics need to have condensation. lol
There is a RIDICULOUS amount of blatantly WRONG information on Paul Becker's site. His service sucks, keeping your site updated is part of service. Consumers go to the source for information esp NEW OWNERS.

His section on Ethics makes me want to PUKE
"I implore you to behave in the most respectable, professional manner. This goes for sellers and buyers alike. We must maintain and conduct ourselves as professionals so that this hobby can be enjoyed by future generations. Please..please..please.. do not slander ,discredit ,lie ,steal or do anything that will cause a shadow of negativity on our beloved hobby."

He recommends UTH's as well. He writes that SADS is a real thing this list is ENDLESS.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
There is a RIDICULOUS amount of blatantly WRONG information on Paul Becker's site. His service sucks, keeping your site updated is part of service. Consumers go to the source for information esp NEW OWNERS.

His section on Ethics makes me want to PUKE
"I implore you to behave in the most respectable, professional manner. This goes for sellers and buyers alike. We must maintain and conduct ourselves as professionals so that this hobby can be enjoyed by future generations. Please..please..please.. do not slander ,discredit ,lie ,steal or do anything that will cause a shadow of negativity on our beloved hobby."

He recommends UTH's as well. He writes that SADS is a real thing this list is ENDLESS.
oh gosh, i went to his site for 5 min a while back, saw the care he recommended, laughed and never went back. i didnt know it was that bad. :rofl:

Jeff23

Arachnolord
If this is the same website where I saw it they also say to keep versicolor at 78 to 84 degrees. I don't own any purpurea but my versicolor stays at 74-76 degrees.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
If this is the same website where I saw it they also say to keep versicolor at 78 to 84 degrees. I don't own any purpurea but my versicolor stays at 74-76 degrees.
Clearly your versi are going to die at those temps you are using. ;):rofl::rofl::rofl:

mistertim

Arachnobaron
Be wary of ANY info you find that says that any tarantula must be kept at a very specific temperature or humidity range. Obviously there are some spiders that require more humidity, but specific numbers are nonsense.

volcanopele

Arachnosquire
My juvenile purpurea seems quite content at ~75-76 F and eats quite well. Maybe it would grow faster if I kept my tarantula room/home office warmer, but 75-ish seems fine.

N1ghtFire

Arachnoknight
I bought one of his A. purpurea, it is kept at 70-75 constantly and is doing really well. Purpurea is one of the best eaters of the 4 avics I got from him.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
purpurea is one Avic that is missing from my collection. I want to get it, but I will need to wait until more of my slings get bigger first.