A Photo Shoot

Rookie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi all,
Well, I'm not sure if it's due to being well fed, or just a change in mood, but Peso (my G.Pulchra s'ling) doesn't try to scurry out of his little tub whenever I pop the top off now. Rather, he calmy sits on the substrate and waits patiently while I feed, or mist, or whatever.
Because of his sudden change in temperment, it seems that now would be the prime oppurtunity to borrow a digicam and get up some pics. Here's the stupid question: can I/should I use a flash? Ts are sensitive to regular light, so I'm wondering how he will react to something as shocking as a camera flash? Will this stress him out, or am I being paranoid?
Thanks everyone,
Paul

ArachnoJoost

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I always use flash, never had any reaction at all from the T's, so I guess it's not a problem.

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
I have had a reaction to a flash, I think. When my evil G. rosea was hanging from my paintbrush by her fangs, and I couldn't get her off, I somehow found it slightly comical and decided to snap a photo. as soon as the flash went, she let go of the brush and scurried back down into her burrow. Could have been a coincidence, who knows with that crazy T.

Bill

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My Haplopelmas react, but everyone else just sits there. Even my Usamabara will sit quietly so long as you're taking photos through the side of the cage (I know she's trying to lure some unsuspecting photographer into opening the lid).

bness2

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I was afraid to use flash at first, but I have photographed all five of my Ts and not a one of them even flinched, not even my jumper, Nijinsky (A. avicularia). I do wonder, though, how they perceive the bright flash. They do have eyes. Do they get temporarily blinded like we do? :?

Bryan

ArachnoJoost

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Bness,
As far as I know T's can only see light/dark or vague outlines, so you'd think that they would notice the flash. But even if they were 'blinded' by the flash, there would be no problem (I think) because they don't rely on their vision.
greetz,
Joost

Lycanthrope

Arachnolord
Old Timer
never had a problem using flash before, its like they dont notice or just dont care

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I shine my laser pointer into my spiders eyes all the time and they dont even notice it.

Vayu Son

Old Timer
><

Thats one way to creatively experiment. You should try it with different specimens of different T's so you can have test groups and control groups and test reactions with the ones youve shined and the ones you havnt, and see if your impairing them in any way. IF you are, however, its rather cruel. If not, then the eyes could just be some sort of pineal gland or genetic junk.

-V