A peculiarity

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
Now, this is a first for me, and I find it very odd, so hear me out.

When tarantulas are near to molt, they usually give at least a hint or two. That being said, when it comes to tarantulas that are utilizing their hides / burrows, almost every time they web up / seal up their entrances to prevent any threats from outside, and stay in there till they emerge again.

A peculiarly here is, Citharognathus hosei did not. It DID actually when it molted November of last year, and January of this year, but NOT this time.

BFCA3D2A-89B2-44F8-B1A7-AF4E1780F000.jpeg

5760ACF9-33E2-4882-9A39-A9FC0D0DCEF2.jpeg

As you can see in above picture references, it’s entrance is wide open, not webbed up nor sealed up. It makes sense if the tarantula is still up, and is out and about time to time, but it does not, at least for two weeks. I found it odd, and observed for two weeks to see if there is any changes on entrance surroundings, but none changed.

Now, I am not impatient, but this seemed very interesting, yet quite odd some.

So for you, well experienced keepers out there, any thoughts, experiences, observations, remarks, insights on this matter?

cold blood

Staff member
That being said, when it comes to tarantulas that are utilizing their hides / burrows, almost every time they web up / seal up their entrances to prevent any threats from outside, and stay in there till they emerge again.
I would say this would be the case for less than 15% of all the adults and juvies I have ever kept.

Off hand I can think of only adult or juvie 2 ts in my t room that seal themselves in when molting....D. pentaloris (just one of them) and the orange OBT.

Avics are my exception as they do tend to much of the time, seal themselves in, but even then, not always.

I see a t that doesnt do anything special to molt, as a t that likely feels comfortable and confident in the enclosure provided.

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
Avics are my exception as they do tend to much of the time, seal themselves in, but even then, not always.

I see a t that doesnt do anything special to molt, as a t that likely feels comfortable and confident in the enclosure provided.
That makes sense, interesting.