A noobish question from me :sigh:

tabor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I realize this is a noob question. I am acknowledging this before I ask it.

Now, up until this point ive kept all my scorps on a mixture of cocofiper, moss, and occasionally sand. I want to add some "bark litter", so to say, to some of my cages.

I know there are certain types of bark and shavings that are lethal to inverts, but i was wondering if any one has any experience with fir bark, or repti-bark, or that stuff made by All Natures Things (compnay name may be wrong).

Keep in mind, im just looking for something to add to the substrate to give it a more jungle type look... cocofiber is basically just dirt.

Any experiences related to these bark type beddings would be greatly appreciated, recommendations of specific brands, even better.

Last edited by a moderator:

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
As many setups that I see with Repti Bark I guess its ok. I believe it is used mostly as a "mulch" to help keep the moisture in the main substrate. I never have done anything like this myself nor do I plan to. I do collect bark from local trees in my area to use for climbs and to give moist species a chance to climb off of the moist strate

tabor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
As many setups that I see with Repti Bark I guess its ok. I believe it is used mostly as a "mulch" to help keep the moisture in the main substrate. I never have done anything like this myself nor do I plan to. I do collect bark from local trees in my area to use for climbs and to give moist species a chance to climb off of the moist strate
yeah i have plenty of bark for climbs and such, i was just looking for something to mix in with the substrate to help keep humidity decent.

this is the exact time i was thining about getting:

http://www.petsmart.com/global/prod...37&itemNo=24&Nao=24&In=Reptile&N=2030043&Ne=2

from my local pets mart.

ps. thanks for the help brian ;)

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Have you tried lichens and moss? (the type moss you see in dart frog cages)

tabor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
as a matter of fact i have, i dont care for the way it looks. i really like the looks of this one substrate, the one i linked to. but im paranoid to put it in some of my pricier species cages... i might test it out on some emps or something. it should be safe though...

tabor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
also brian. ive seen setup pics of individual cages of yours, but im really interested in seeing the overall setup. im in the provess of moving everything to a rack/sterilite shoe box setup, and im a sponge for setup ideas right now

*derails thread*

bliss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I used a mixture of Peat moss and reptibark with my A. amourexi. I just make sure to wash the Reptibark first, sometimes it has this nasty/annoying powdery dusty stuff on it. I have no clue if this is bad for the inverts' health, but i wash and bake it just to be sure :D

tabor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I used a mixture of Peat moss and reptibark with my A. amourexi. I just make sure to wash the Reptibark first, sometimes it has this nasty/annoying powdery dusty stuff on it. I have no clue if this is bad for the inverts' health, but i wash and bake it just to be sure :D
i guess i will go with repti bark, even though i like the other stuff better. Better safe than sorry!

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
and im a sponge for setup ideas right now
What kind of ideas? The sterlite box is the way to go esp if you have a large collection. I have considered doing an ExoTerra set up for one of my larger bark scorpion sp (Rhopalurus, Centruoides) but I dont think they will be viewable due to a scorpion's desire to hide until its dark

tabor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've gone the sterilite system. and built a system of metal racks for them. right now its hot enough out side that i can just keep them out there for heat/humidity. What sort of heating do you use for your sterilite boxes? Flexwatt? Heat cable?

Last edited:

Canth

Arachnolord
Old Timer
You could try cypress mulch. It looks "woodsy." And is cheap.

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I used to use Repti Bark in my emps tank around a little plant i had for decoration. It was only a little piece of the tank and it helped to keep the plant alive longer.