a nice surprise

Bry

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Last night, I dropped two crickets in with my G. pulchra, and I thought it was strange that she was batting them away from her. Then, I noticed that her butt was black, so I took out the crickets. Since I'm moving from GA to CO in 2 weeks, I was afraid she would molt too close to the move date (or during the actual move itself) and it might cause problems. Today, I went in the snake room to see if she had barricaded herself into the hide. Instead, her legs were in the air (get your heads out of the gutter, people). :D Just when you think you have them figured out, they throw you a curve ball.

I managed to grab the molt from her after she finished before she could destroy it. I took pics of the actual molting process and will get them developed today. I will also have a friend take a good close-up pic of the molt today with his digi cam to see if you guys can sex it for me.

If a T molts during a move or molts too close to a move date, can it cause problems for the T?

Bry

AllenG

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
from what I understand, even though it is the most stressful action for a T, I think as long as the T can be left alone during and after the molt then it should be fine...however...if the T was in transport it might not turn out so good, seeing as you aren't supposed to really touch them when moulting I would hate to think of them trying to molt and rolling around in their enclosure during a move at the same time....

but glad the molt went through ok!

Bry

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Thanks for the help, Allen. I was afraid of the same thing. Guess I don't have to worry about that now. As long as the B. albopilosum doesn't molt anytime soon, I'm all set.

Bry

SpiderTwin

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I'm glad the molt went good and happened before your move. I would be worried myself if one of my T's were to molt while in transport, I can't picture that being the best circumstance for the T.