A newbie question?

Sodaboy1978

Arachnopeon
How to get your first Pokies? is it better to get em as a sling or as a juvenile? just wanting to know peoples opinions as I have read they are some what aggressive.
This newbie wants to know, also I have seen Robc's bite wound. :eek:

bobusboy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I think a lot of people here are in favor of getting them small and watching them grow.

Personally If it was my first I'd look for at least a 1-2" and raise that. Smaller than that and I find any sling is much more difficult to raise

Arachnos482

Arachnosquire
Pokies are generally more defensive, and they are OW, so they rely on their bite as defense, and it,s better to get them as slings, but they are fast, even as slings, so if you don,t have previous experience with pokies, i wouldn't recommend one. Just my opinion. :?

HAGAR

Arachnosquire
OK WELL IMO IF YOUR GOING FOR SOMETHING WITH SPEED AND A DEFENSIVE BEHAVIOR I WOULD RECOMMEND YOU FIRST GET YOURSELF A OBT (Pterinochilus murinus) THEY ARE FAST, VERY DEFENSIVE AND A GOOD IDEA OF WHAT TO EXPECT WITH A POKIE.

HAGAR

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
so if you don,t have previous experience with pokies, i wouldn't recommend one. Just my opinion. :?
How does a person gain experienced with pokies without owning one?

I say go for it. Just learn about what your getting into first. Pokies are really hardy Ts so it doesnt matter what size you get. They are almost 1" as second instars! For me the smaller ones are harder to deal with. Much more flightly! Take caution to avoid any chance of being bit. Bottom line you need to respect the venom. They are not really agressive. Most the time they will run away. Thats if they dont mistake you for food. When i change out my water and clean the cages i make sure they dont think im some kind of meal on wheels. Im not saying i make a ruckus.. But i dont try to be silent either.

Arachnos482

Arachnosquire
How does a person gain experienced with pokies without owning one?
O.k, let me rephrase my last statement, what i meant is that it seems unwise to get a T such as a pokie if you haven't dealt with t's that have similar behavioral patterns... I wasn't saying he shouldn't get one, just to be careful, i'm all for learning on the fly, my concern is for the well being of the t. Does that clarify my last statement? :confused:

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
i'm sorry i'm a newbie at this web as well,what's "pokie" means?:confused::eek:
It refers to the genus Poecilotheria. Pokie becuase some pronounce it pok-i-low-theria. I remeber a debate on the pronunciation. poecilo may have a greek translation. Greek has a hard K. Dont take my word on that. Ill try to confirm it. The latin pronouncation is Poe-see-low-theria either way is fine IMO.

Last edited:

BillyG

Arachnopeon
It refers to the genus Poecilotheria. Pokie becuase some pronounce it pok-i-low-theria. I remeber a debate on the pronunciation. It actually has a translation in greek if im not mistaken. Greek has a hard K. The latin pronouncation is Poe-si-low-theria either way is fine IMO.
that's....deeeep but i get it!y'all so unbelievable!:razz: i never even look at it so much,i just went P.blah blah,even i did,i must had to pronounce it Poe-cil-o-theria,thank y'all!

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
that's....deeeep but i get it!y'all so unbelievable!:razz: i never even look at it so much,i just went P.blah blah,even i did,i must had to pronounce it Poe-cil-o-theria,thank y'all!
Dont take my word for the translation in greek. I havnt confirmed that. Heres an interesting thread. http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=184866

According to my word roots dictionary:

poecil, -i, -o is of Greek origin meaning variegated, many-colored.

theri, -a,-d, -o is also of Greek origin meaning a wild beast.

Not to nerd out on anybody or anything... :D But that would be why Latin pronunciation rules don't apply here.

My guess as to why people will mispronounce these things, especially this one, is since most of us in the United States are western European... we tend to go with the Latin pronunciation of things. At least in my area. That and calling them "pokies" for short doesn't help!
I do know this has some truth. The first part poecilo is correct. But idk about the rest.. Im having a hard time finding greek translations..

Last edited:

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
How to get your first Pokies? is it better to get em as a sling or as a juvenile? just wanting to know peoples opinions as I have read they are some what aggressive.
This newbie wants to know, also I have seen Robc's bite wound. :eek:
I honestly wouldn't call, them aggressive, both times I was bit the T was not coming after me.....1st time I was mistaken for a prey item, 2nd The Ornata went after the MM and got me instead. I say get it as a sling so you can see it grow up and learn it's behavior.:)

Sodaboy1978

Arachnopeon
I honestly wouldn't call, them aggressive, both times I was bit the T was not coming after me.....1st time I was mistaken for a prey item, 2nd The Ornata went after the MM and got me instead. I say get it as a sling so you can see it grow up and learn it's behavior.:)
Yeah I probably will get it as a sling. But uh how to make sure I am not mistaken as food. Cause well even if they did mistake you as food or you got between the female and male those bites were still nasty.

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Pokies tend to be very skittish. Just tap something lightly against the enclosure and usually they will run into hiding. Once it gets to be an adult and poses more of an issue with the venom, you'll be a lot more familiar with it.