A new addition

pategirl

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I got this male vinegaroon a few days ago....he's quite a character. Here is a pic:

Alex S.

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Mastigoproctus giganteus

Great pic! Very nice specimen!

Alex S.

Valael

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
So how bad are they about spraying?

B. Smithi and hairs? or more like G. Rosea with hairs?

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Most of them get over it pretty quick in captivity. It's totally harmless to humans, no comparison to urticating hair. When I'm doing educational demonstrations with them, I actually like it if spray...it illustrates how they became known as "vinegaroons".

They can, however, gas themselves to death in a small poorly ventilated container. Important to remember, especially when collecting and shipping them.

Wade

Valael

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
How strong is the smell? Hard to wash out? Long lasting?

Heh, I always thought about getting one, but smelling funny all day isn't all that fun.

pategirl

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Mine is very mild mannered....I think most of them are. He's had every right to spray someone, as my fiance almost accidentally squashed him the other day. He hasn't though, he's a very interesting bug.

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Originally posted by Valael
How strong is the smell? Hard to wash out? Long lasting?
Heh, I always thought about getting one, but smelling funny all day isn't all that fun.
It smells like vinegar and it disapates very quickly. I've only noticed the smell on my hands immediately after handling. In a few minutes, it's gone. Those that are handled on a regular basis don't spray much anyway.

Vinegaroons are probably the most mild mannered and harmless arachnid pets you can have. I reccomend them highly.

Wade

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
They can pinch too though, right ? Those appendages at the front look like they have some power......

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I assume they can, but I've never had one try to do it defensively. If you insist on sticking your finger right up in there, they might grab on...but at worst it's a little startling. Not very painful, at least not in my experience, and I've handled dozens of them.

Wade