A Neat Story I Thought I'd Share

Blaze

Arachnopeon
Haha alright guys. I'm pretty new to the T Hobby. So the T's i have are a B smithi sling and a G rosea Juvi. I decided to be pretty adventurous and buy my first pokie! :evil:. so i ordered a 1.5 inch Poecilotheria regalis from Brandon at Captive Inverts and anxiously waited for my beauty to arrive. I Prepared a pill jar for it, filled it with about an inch and a half of substrate. In Government class, i got a text from the Mrs. that said my package had arrived :clap: :clap: :clap:
after class, i rush home, open my package and remove the small vial that is holding my new T. i open the lid, slowly pull out the cloth, but accidentally pull it too hard... the regalis, teleported out and was on the floor... i'm used to terrestrial T's who are pretty slow moving, so i was pretty shocked at the speed of this little devil :eek:. so now he is on the floor, and i try to coax him into his Pill jar. he darts away, and crawls in between the space between the floor and the wall. at this point I'm thinking "GOD DAMNIT, I LOST IT!" now the idea of a tarantula with pretty potent venom being loose in my house is on my mind. i grab a piece of paper, slide it under the crevice where he was in...and then he zipped out towards my face, since my face was on the floor while i was sliding the paper, trying to get as much space as possible.he crawled up my cheek, to my shoulder, down my arm and back on the floor. i quickly put a clear tupperware over him. after about 15 minutes of trying, i finally got him in his pill jar and was relieved. this was quite an experience for me :p i'm glad it happened though ^_^

Rue

Arachnoknight
Funny! :D I'm glad you didn't lose it!

Now I'm wondering...if T's aren't esp. venomnous to begin with...can a small one even puncture the skin and deliver enough venom to hurt? I can see hairs being an issue though...

Blaze

Arachnopeon
Funny! :D I'm glad you didn't lose it!

Now I'm wondering...if T's aren't esp. venomnous to begin with...can a small one even puncture the skin and deliver enough venom to hurt? I can see hairs being an issue though...
well a P regalis is an OW T, so it does not possess urticating hairs. even though its that size, the venom wouldnt be as bad as itd be as an adult, but it'd still be worse than lets say a B smithi bite?

Rue

Arachnoknight
well a P regalis is an OW T, so it does not possess urticating hairs. even though its that size, the venom wouldnt be as bad as itd be as an adult, but it'd still be worse than lets say a B smithi bite?
I realize your P. regalis is OW. I was more wondering if the fangs of an immature of that size are able to puncture our skin and if so, is there enough venom delivered to cause a reaction.

Young NW T's can flick the urticating hairs...so if those were to get in your eyes, I can see that would cause problems.

Well...guess I might find out soon enough. It's warming up! Soon it should be warm enough for my 2 babies to be shipped.:D

RatKing216

Arachnopeon
Well...guess I might find out soon enough. It's warming up! Soon it should be warm enough for my 2 babies to be shipped.

What kind of T's are you going to be getting?

Looks like I did a Quote wrong. How do you properly make a quote in the greyed out box? What did I do wrong?

Motorkar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
B smithi don't bite as far as I know, I never read that it bitten anyone. Even it would, their venom is very mild.

P. regalis has one of the most potent venom amongst the tarantulas and amogst the pokies. I think ornata venom is more potent from regalis one.

Pokies are known to do the teleporting around and posess amazing speed and accuracy, I wish you good luck with your newcomer, but be prepared to get used to their speed, since you are used only on B. smithi. :)

Looks like I did a Quote wrong. How do you properly make a quote in the greyed out box? What did I do wrong?
You deleted the [/quote] at the end.

Rue

Arachnoknight
Thanks! That's what I was wondering. Do you know at what smallest size they're able to puncture human skin? i.e. as a 1", 2"...

RatKing:

At the bottom of each post there's a 'quote' button...hit that...and it will should up as a quote in your own post. Or you can copy and paste and manually put the quotes around it too...just don't forget to close it off as Motorkar said.

I'm getting a L. violaceopes and a G. pulchra...:D

RatKing216

Arachnopeon
You deleted the
at the end.[/QUOTE]

Just checking to see if this works. If I don't get it this time, I give up. I left the /QUOTE at the end this time. As well as the QUOTE=Motorkar at the beginning.

EDIT: Okay. It cut part of it off, but it went in a box. :)

Blaze

Arachnopeon
Thanks! That's what I was wondering. Do you know at what smallest size they're able to puncture human skin? i.e. as a 1", 2"...

RatKing:

At the bottom of each post there's a 'quote' button...hit that...and it will should up as a quote in your own post. Or you can copy and paste and manually put the quotes around it too...just don't forget to close it off as Motorkar said.

I'm getting a L. violaceopes and a G. pulchra...:D
to my knowledge, a 1'' can even bite you.

RyTheTGuy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well think about it common house spiders are fairly small and can puncture human skin.

RoseT

Arachnosquire
yeah their fangs can penetrate, its actually pretty amazing that spiders that small have the power to do so....So you def dont want to get bitten by an adulty....Good luck with your new add, and dont forget to check out the "bag method" when its ready to be transferred.

Rue

Arachnoknight
I suppose...I guess once the chitin is hard, it's hard - so that would penetrate...doesn't matter the size...I was thinking the spiderlings might have less powerful muscles...but that probably doesn't influence puncturing human skin very much either...

Either way, I wasn't planning on handling them...just good to think it all through...

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I've read some pretty nasty bite reports that have come from pokie slings where systemic effects were documented.

All tarantulas have fangs and venom and therefore can decide to bite you...including B. smithi...no they don't have potent venom, but I'm sure it still hurts...check out the bite reports.

I don't think going from two slow moving new world tarantulas to a lightning fast old world arboreal tarantula is the smartest progression in the hobby, but to each their own I suppose. I probably would have gone with Psalmopeous or Tapinauchenius first. Some people might argue to go with a pinktoe first, but if you are at the point where you are actually considering a pokie, I'd say it would be ok to skip the pink toe.

Just my $.02

malevolentrobot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
thankfully most bite reports from smaller specimens have rather mild/no symptoms.

here are some of my thoughts on switching to OW, specifically pokies. i think we convince people they are getting way in over their heads sometimes. my pokies have generally given me little cause for concern so far, just be smart and be calm when dealing with them. and have some way of catch cupping them at hand as fast as possible.

Some people might argue to go with a pinktoe first, but if you are at the point where you are actually considering a pokie, I'd say it would be ok to skip the pink toe.
i skipped avics, and now i am coming back around and wishing i hadn't. they are too cute!

Rob1985

This user has no status.
my only T after 2007 was an 8" female P.ornata that recently passed away. She was a lot to handle during rehousing.