A. mooreae sling housing

gabrielgartner

Arachnosquire
I have a small (~0.5 in) A. mooreae in a 20 dram container with a small cork hide. I also have the larger 40 dram vial seen here. I know that Aphonopelma slings will burrow but I've read here on the boards that (1) the large vial might be too big and that letting tiny slings like this burrow too much will actual slow growth. Of course with this species, slow growth is a given so maybe it's not that big a deal.

Anyway, what do you think? Rehouse in the larger container or leave it alone?

IMG_20200408_093046.jpg

Thekla

Arachnoprince
Leave it where it is! :) Just make sure the vent holes aren't too big. If the carapace fits through the whole spider will.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
200$ T, MAYBE you'll see it reach adulthood, glacially slow growers generally, but gorgeous when adult.

Just leave it. 1/2 sure looks like you have escape on your hand w/both vials, but w/out seeing carapace don't know for sure

gabrielgartner

Arachnosquire
Those holes are less than 1/10h of an inch (5/64th). Hard to see without something for scale. Spider’s not going anywhere.

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
Rehouse it in a larger container that allows burrowing if your small A. mooreae runs around in circles when you open the lid of the smaller one it is currently housed in. I have three of these and all them are high strung and do better in something that allows them to burrow. They are good eaters too so there shouldn't be any worry about them not finding their food while burrowed. With such a rare and expensive species, you don't want to risk it running out and getting lost. Better to let it be comfortable and have something to run into instead of up and out of the enclosure.

gabrielgartner

Arachnosquire
Rehouse it in a larger container that allows burrowing if your small A. mooreae runs around in circles when you open the lid of the smaller one it is currently housed in. I have three of these and all them are high strung and do better in something that allows them to burrow. They are good eaters too so there shouldn't be any worry about them not finding their food while burrowed. With such a rare and expensive species, you don't want to risk it running out and getting lost. Better to let it be comfortable and have something to run into instead of up and out of the enclosure.
what size vial are you using? I’m just concerned that the 40dram is a bit big but it’s hard for me to get something smaller right now as I’m stuck at home and most of my supplies are at work!

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
what size vial are you using? I’m just concerned that the 40dram is a bit big but it’s hard for me to get something smaller right now as I’m stuck at home and most of my supplies are at work!
I use condiment cups for my spiderlings instead of vials. The A. mooreae are in 4 fl. oz. cups now and two of the three have burrows they run in when I open the lids. The third got a bit too big for it and runs around like crazy when I go to feed or water. It will need to be housed in something bigger so it doesn't run out at some point.

Have a look at the following thread. I posted pictures of how I am housing the A. mooreae there.

gabrielgartner

Arachnosquire
I use condiment cups for my spiderlings instead of vials. The A. mooreae are in 4 fl. oz. cups now and two of the three have burrows they run in when I open the lids. The third got a bit too big for it and runs around like crazy when I go to feed or water. It will need to be housed in something bigger so it doesn't run out at some point.

Have a look at the following thread. I posted pictures of how I am housing the A. mooreae there.

Ah ha.thanks for the link...the smaller container in my image is only about 3 oz. the only difference between ours is mine has a small piece of cork that he has scraped a small burrow under.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
High strung, similiar to what species?

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
High strung, similiar to what species?
Similar to the spiderling of any species that run around in circles and up and out of their enclosure with little provocation. I don’t know how else to answer since I can’t know what species I have that others have.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Similar to the spiderling of any species that run around in circles and up and out of their enclosure with little provocation. I don’t know how else to answer since I can’t know what species I have that others have.
I have slings that are not high strung, emilia, chilensis.

I have slings that are high strung, such as H sp Columbia, GBB, Ephobus

Take your pick now

CommanderBacon

Arachnobaron
Your A mooreae must be from a different sac or something XD Mine burrowed and is never, ever out, and has molted twice in the 13 months that I've owned it. It has maybe eaten three times.

I keep so many dwarf sp that I usually just let the babies burrow because they grow a bit faster but this A mooreae will be the death of me. I'm going to have to find someone to leave it to in my will.

gabrielgartner

Arachnosquire
I asked Steve at Arachnoiden if he knew the age and he didn't know. It was captive bred in Mexico according to the website. It's not a micro sling, bigger than 1/2 inch so it's not super young. My guess is mid 2019. It's good that enough people seem to have slings around the same age. Lots of available animals for breeding loans and what not when they mature.