A modern day tradgedy

AlbinoDragon829

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I came home today from school, wondering how my S. subspinipes was doing.. It's been refusing food the past few days and the colors have gotten much darker. I've been leaving it alone ever since it first refused food, thinking that perhaps it would moult in the next week or so. Unfortunately I was wrong. I came home to find it motionless.. I prodded the tail with a meterstick, and it didn't move.. I cautiously and lightly prodded the rest of the body with the meterstick and still no movement. When I turned the body over, I saw little white specks MOVING around.. I decided to put the deceased pede in an alcohol solution and lo and behold out came literally hundreds of little white mites (would it be mites, or something else?).. I guess this would explain the extreme lethargy as of late, never before I have I seen a centipede sitting in the same spot for such a long time while still being alive. Unfortunately it was the only pede I have. I might get more, but I'm waiting to hear back from the nearby animal shelter about this snake that came in.. If the snake is something I can keep and is manageable, then I will get it (I won't be able to get anything else because it will take up some room in my small living quarters). Perhaps when I go off to college in half of a year I will get more pedes...

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Man, that is a bummer. :(
What kind of substrate were you using?

Atrax

petitegreeneyes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm sorry.. That had to suck since it was your only pede. Was it a wild caught one?

AlbinoDragon829

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Originally posted by petitegreeneyes
I'm sorry.. That had to suck since it was your only pede. Was it a wild caught one?
Judging that it was 7"+ when I bought it, most likely yes, that's probably why it had the predatory mites or whatever. It probably had it in Vietnam where it was probably caught.