a. metallica not eating

MegHope

Arachnopeon
Hey guys, I've got a new a. Metallica around 3 inches that I got on the 13th of August (16 days ago) she has yet to show interest in food or Web that much. This is my very first avicularia and would love some opinions. I may be jumping the gun being worried about her but thought Id see what others thought. I've seen her drinking just not interested in food- have tried crickets, mealworms, dubai roaches. I've left her alone 5 days in between attempted feedings. Here is her enclosure

Attachments

DeanK

Arachnosquire
How does the abdomen look? You've said she's drinking so that's good. Could just be adjusting to the enclosure or could be in premolt. Right now I'd say as long as she's drinking then all is fine

Kodi

Title Master
Old Timer
The setup looks great besides the screen. He/she could chew through it, plus there is no cross ventilation for air flow. It may be too stuffy for the avics liking. I would suggest adding a water bowl and replace the damp substrate with dry. If you're really concerned replace the screen with plexiglass.

Last edited:

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Tarantulas can go LONG periods without eating. I'd give it at least a week to settle in and then try feeding it again. Keep offering a water dish and it should be fine.

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Once it settles in and makes a hammock, you'll see it leave it when it's hungry/thirsty.

It looks like it's started to setup shop. My avic took a good three weeks in its first enclosure before finally webbing up the place. Patience!

I know you didn't ask, but just a quick fyi...

Do not mist to raise humidity. Avics die in stuffy cages (noted already).

Hygrometers are not needed.

Don't use heat pads/mats/rocks/lamps.

Always keep that water dish full.

Good luck!

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hey guys, I've got a new a. Metallica around 3 inches that I got on the 13th of August (16 days ago) she has yet to show interest in food or Web that much. This is my very first avicularia and would love some opinions. I may be jumping the gun being worried about her but thought Id see what others thought. I've seen her drinking just not interested in food- have tried crickets, mealworms, dubai roaches. I've left her alone 5 days in between attempted feedings. Here is her enclosure
I've owned A. metallica, and many other Avic species. A better pic of your Ts abdomen would be helpful. However, from what I see it looks reasonably decent sized. Your T is setting up shop, so that's great! I wouldn't worry right now. It often takes them a while to settle in, and sometimes they won't eat during that time.

I WOULD however get ride of that screen or your Avic's tarsal claws may get caught in it. You may find your T w/out a leg as a result OR stressed out from trying to free itself, or you having to free it. It's simply not worth it, trust me.

Replace it w/acrylic like this http://arachnoboards.com/threads/ex...rom-arboreal-to-terrestrial-pic-heavy.259864/

Save up for a larger ExoTerra, your metallica will double in size. They are one of the larger Avics FYI.

Last edited:

MegHope

Arachnopeon
I will definitely get acrylic and make those changes thank you! Here is the only picture of her abdomen I could find- she hiding in her tree now. Also there is cross ventilation along the bottom of the tank but maybe I should move her cage to my top shelf to allow more airflow? Thank you for the input! I tried asking her how's she doing but alas no answer :)

Attachments

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I will definitely get acrylic and make those changes thank you! Here is the only picture of her abdomen I could find- she hiding in her tree now. Also there is cross ventilation along the bottom of the tank but maybe I should move her cage to my top shelf to allow more airflow? Thank you for the input! I tried asking her how's she doing but alas no answer :)
You have to ask quietly or they get scared speechless.

The design of these cages is similar to a lot of european style cages from what I've seen. The airflow for these isn't actually too bad from what I've read.

Going to the exo terra website, you can see this image:

LINK

@viper69
Looking at the mesh on top, it appears to create airflow through the system using a sort of "stack ventilation" to bring fresh air in. I wonder what putting the acrylic on top with only a handfull of small holes does to the ventilation. Without actually having one myself, it would seem that doing this kills the ventilation system.

I'm not arguing that it shouldn't be fixed, I'm just curious if it's hurting the air exchange. :confused:

I think the key here is to NOT mist the heck out of the cage (I don't mist at all). If you can wet a small corner (it should be the color of coffee grounds) and see how long it takes to dry, you can get an idea on ventilation.

Edit:
If you want to take advantage of the airflow this is designed to create, I'd advise moving it where the top has less shelf directly above it.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
@viper69
Looking at the mesh on top, it appears to create airflow through the system using a sort of "stack ventilation" to bring fresh air in. I wonder what putting the acrylic on top with only a handfull of small holes does to the ventilation. Without actually having one myself, it would seem that doing this kills the ventilation system.

I'm not arguing that it shouldn't be fixed, I'm just curious if it's hurting the air exchange. :confused:
Yep I've seen that air flow. I've wondered the same thing myself. But if you look at the European glass cubes, they don't have the entire top as screen, just a strip of metal w/pre-fab holes in it.

I'm not an aerodynamics person at all. In that context I'd be surprised if acrylic with reasonably placed holes would significantly decrease the air flow, but then again, I don't know. We need a wind tunnel and some smoke ;)

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Looks decently sized, certainly wouldn't worry about food. Just make sure has access to fresh water regularly. At that size food alone typically cannot keep up their blood pressure, and then they will die. I don't think you need to move your tank. Do you have any reason to think the air flow is greater at the top than at the bottom other than due to heat?

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Yep I've seen that air flow. I've wondered the same thing myself. But if you look at the European glass cubes, they don't have the entire top as screen, just a strip of metal w/pre-fab holes in it.

I'm not an aerodynamics person at all. In that context I'd be surprised if acrylic with reasonably placed holes would significantly decrease the air flow, but then again, I don't know. We need a wind tunnel and some smoke ;)
Nah, we just need a couple matches to make smoke. Either that or someone that smokes. :cigar:

Who wants to donate a exo terra to me for science? :pompous:

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Looks decently sized, certainly wouldn't worry about food. Just make sure has access to fresh water regularly. At that size food alone typically cannot keep up their blood pressure, and then they will die. I don't think you need to move your tank. Do you have any reason to think the air flow is greater at the top than at the bottom other than due to heat?
If you look in the picture, the only thing that might stagnate air flow is how close the shelf above it is... even then... I'm not sure it matters much...

REEFSPIDER

Arachnobaron
When I first got my 3.5 adult fem Avicularia sp. she took a long while to get settled into her home and begin taking foods. As long as she has access to water the entire time and you are offering from time to time she should be fine. As others have said should you notice her start to shrivel or look rather skinny then you may want to worry. I would assume your spider is just suffering from new enclosure syndrome. This isn't a real medical thing I just made it up. I would offer food on a weekly basis until it eats.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
These exo terras dont provide much cross ventilation so I have a fan on facing my more tropical Ts. I think my Avics need it the most

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
These exo terras dont provide much cross ventilation so I have a fan on facing my more tropical Ts. I think my Avics need it the most
What did you notice that makes you say that? Not saying you are wrong, but curious..

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
What did you notice that makes you say that? Not saying you are wrong, but curious..
I just believe they are more delicate to stuffy cages than other Ts. Its easier to add moisture/water when needed, its not so easy to dry one out. I would rather be safe than sorry thats all :)

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I just believe they are more delicate to stuffy cages than other Ts. Its easier to add moisture/water when needed, its not so easy to dry one out. I would rather be safe than sorry thats all :)
Yeah Avics are more delicate. I meant have you noticed something about the air flow with ExoTerra's relative to avics?

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Yeah Avics are more delicate. I meant have you noticed something about the air flow with ExoTerra's relative to avics?
My first Avic I ever had died a very sudden death in an Exo Terra. I don't know what killed it for sure but as it was winter I would have had my windows closed most of the time and I dont think the cage got as much airflow as it should. It was probably stuffy. It looked very healthy, no signs of dehydration or damage from a fall. It was a very long time ago.

I think the fan helps. It helps reduce the chance of mould and mites too.

.. Maybe I'm just paranoid :anxious:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
My first Avic I ever had died a very sudden death in an Exo Terra. I don't know what killed it for sure but as it was winter I would have had my windows closed most of the time and I dont think the cage got as much airflow as it should. It was probably stuffy. It looked very healthy, no signs of dehydration or damage from a fall. It was a very long time ago.

I think the fan helps. It helps reduce the chance of mould and mites too.

.. Maybe I'm just paranoid :anxious:
I put an adult A metallica in one, no issues. I know another Avic enthusiast, uses them a lot at different ages, no issues.