A. Metallica Not Eating

GPulchra

Arachnoknight
A week ago, I received a beautiful new A. Metallica from Ken (you know which one ;) ). It has been exactly 7 days since my A. Metallica has arrived and 4 days since she moved into her new enclosure. Although, she hasn't eaten one thing. How long should I wait until I try feeding her again? I've only tried once since I got her- a few minutes ago. Also, she barely webbed. I don't have much experience with adult Ts, but my Versis webbed a whole lot a day after I moved them. Same with my C. Fimbriatus. My Pulchra accepted food the first chance it got. Can anyone give a comment or response to this situation and/or give some helpful tips? No, I do not constantly pester my Ts. I just think the behavior of my A. Metallica is strange.

popcangenie

Arachnosquire
calm...down... you just got it, it will web when it feels the need too and will eat when it wants two. no need to start throwing food at it i would wait untill tomorrow to remove there cricket tho

do you have pictures? would love to see :D

GPulchra

Arachnoknight
Uh-huh. *smiles and nods sarcastically*
calm...down... you just got it, it will web when it feels the need too and will eat when it wants two. no need to start throwing food at it i would wait untill tomorrow to remove there cricket tho

do you have pictures? would love to see :D
I'm not freaking out, just curious. Anyways, I already took out the Dubia roach, no point in disturbing her again.

Can't wait until I get a new camera.

fearcrazy8

Arachnopeon
Just try to feed it once every two weeks. If it's not eating it's because of a upcoming molt, or the T is disturbed. If your like me, and have cages stacked on cages, then it's almost impossible to feed without disturbing them. Try getting the cage out, putting in a area of the house that has 0 activity, take the lid off and turn it upside down on top of the cage (Not possible with some cages, works well with vials and deli cups) So that way you can easily open it without the loud POP noise, wait 30 mins to an hour to give the T time to relax, then feed without disturbing or shaking it's container. This is just from my experience, but when ever the cage is moved or disturbed. T's enter their flight or fight responses, while in this mode, the T will not eat and only sees a potential threat and not a meal.

killy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I got an A.avicularia 3 weeks ago, about a 1 1/2 incher - he didn't eat for 2 weeks, to the point that I thought that a) he was sick, b) he was in pre-molt, c) he was too stressed out by the move and the new digs ... I almost started a thread on the situation, like you did. Turned out to be "c" because last weekend (week 3) I tried feeding him again and WHAMMO, he acted like a hungry A. avic is supposed to act, i.e., the cricket never knew what hit him - and the avic has been fine and dandy ever since ... so I'd say give your new T 3 weeks and I'll bet he'll come around.

Last edited:

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Snow ~ All tarantulas have a variable settling in period. Some are happy to eat the first day and web too, some can take a month or more. Tarantulas don't follow rules and guess what?! They are weird! ;)

The search option would have helped you out and honestly, this should have been posted in Chat, not Q&D to up your post count.:p

GPulchra

Arachnoknight
Just try to feed it once every two weeks. If it's not eating it's because of a upcoming molt, or the T is disturbed. If your like me, and have cages stacked on cages, then it's almost impossible to feed without disturbing them. Try getting the cage out, putting in a area of the house that has 0 activity, take the lid off and turn it upside down on top of the cage (Not possible with some cages, works well with vials and deli cups) So that way you can easily open it without the loud POP noise, wait 30 mins to an hour to give the T time to relax, then feed without disturbing or shaking it's container. This is just from my experience, but when ever the cage is moved or disturbed. T's enter their flight or fight responses, while in this mode, the T will not eat and only sees a potential threat and not a meal.
She's in an acrylic enclosure with substrate...

Also, I'll try to feed her again in about 2 weeks. Would it be ok to tong-feed?

forrestpengra

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Some Avics take a LONG time to settle in... I had one that I later bred successfully that didn't web for MONTHS. Try feeding some crickets for a first feeding as they better stimulate the feeding response (and don't burrow). As well if your photo is any indication of its heath it's pretty chubby and will be fine for some time without feeding.

I have a versi that only eats like once a month, if that, but when it does it will only take a dubia near its entire body size. THey are all different.

GPulchra

Arachnoknight
Some Avics take a LONG time to settle in... I had one that I later bred successfully that didn't web for MONTHS. Try feeding some crickets for a first feeding as they better stimulate the feeding response (and don't burrow). As well if your photo is any indication of its heath it's pretty chubby and will be fine for some time without feeding.

I have a versi that only eats like once a month, if that, but when it does it will only take a dubia near its entire body size. THey are all different.
No, my photo was just an indication of showing popcangenie what the A. Metallica looks like. Hm, I guess Ken feeds his Ts well!

forrestpengra, thank you for the post. It really cleared this all up ;) . I never knew that avics took a lot of time to settle in.