A. Mauretanicus temperament

BarkScorps

Arachnopeon
I absolutely love this species but I am not ready to keep it yet.I have heard conflicting information about its temperament and I would like to know from someone that keeps it.
Thank you.

ScorpFreakKing666

Arachnopeon
I have never kept this specie personally but I have kept numerous Adroctonus's before. I have even succesfully breed A.australis a few times. In my experiance any androctonus sp. Are usually quick to sting and take defensive postures with very quick bursts of speed. Not as fast as some Parabuthus sp but still very quick and usually aggressive in nature. Hope this helps.

Cheers.

ButhidaeBomb

Cant Re-Member
Old Timer
I currently keep a dozen or so, from 3i-adult. I can say that i tend to use extra caution when dealing with a. mauretanicus. I dont usually disturb them enough to get a sting response but they are easily disturbed and super quick on their feet. All androctonus require extra respect but mauretanicus are very fast. I would say that while they are moving so fast, if you were in the way you would be stung.
Dont let information you read elsewhere be conflicting to the fact that it doesnt matter what you read because a sting is a sting. I would treat them as super dangerous no matter what. That mindset will keep you safer. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Agreed with the others!

One thing to note perhaps, they have a tendency to get really fat from eating, making them look clumsy and 'slow', don't let this fool you!!

every now and then my subadults lash out against their containers, leaving specks of venom behind, easy to sting, easy to inject i'd say!

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
They are readily defensive, another way of putting it. They won't sting unless your hand is trespassing so to speak, placed in a way that puts then in defense mode. I've been stung also and I tell you, don't expect to sleep that night. The neurological symptom I felt was a cool "watery" feeling over the skin when it came in contact with anything. I noticed nothing else but kept careful monitoring on breathing and heart beat, ready to head for the ER at any time. After it all was over, it didn't seem so bad. Something also interesting I figured out, out of desperation, all local sting pain was gone when my hand was placed under warm water, but cool water, cool temps, now that is an absolute nightmare!!!!!!!!!!

Tleilaxu

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
While not the species your asking about my experience with leiurus quinquestriatus mirrors the above posts, mine would trip over itself getting into a defensive posture at the most minimal disturbance. And would do so often. They and your adroctonus will make bark scorpions seem really laid back in comparison.

ButhidaeBomb

Cant Re-Member
Old Timer
one of the more aggressive specimens I have ever owned was a LQ. that thing was insane with being defensive. I literally would not enter its enclosure AT ALL with any part of my arm. tweezers all the way for that one.
that being said, I have had some really laid back LQ's....those of course not trusted either.

HUNGRYBEASTS

Arachnopeon
I have 8 androctonus species so far.. all of them are fast and aggressive.. specially my a. Baluchicus.. make sure u use long tongs when dealing with them and make sure to have a positive view on where the scorpion is at before u decided to put your hands or the tong inside the enclosure..

Dovey

Arachnobaron
Sure are sleek, beautiful careatures, though, aren't they?