A little mystery

malevolentrobot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I know what it is.....
..... it's cute as a button!
{D
wow. aren't you helpful. :wall:

kori, any new luck figuring out what it is?

hmmmmm, i'm going to narrow it down and say the likelyhood of Euathlus sp. (or Paraphysa sp., but i am still kind of iffy saying that) doesn't seem too great now since the mirror patch just doesn't fit either of them. even at the size yours is that butterfly shape is pretty obvious on a Euathlus and only slightly less on Paraphysa from the pictures i've taken/been going through. your sling looks like it has some type of mirror patch, but i can't get a good idea of the shape from the pictures, but i suppose that is failure on my part. i do feel more confident ruling out Euathlus than Paraphysa though.

Euathlus looks like it was/is one messed up genus, but if you look at the pics in the gallery (and read the notes, it'll redirect you to some other possibilities) there are a fairly decent amount of slings that don't look like yours.

Last edited:

kevin88

Arachnopeon
Im eagerly awating an id on this one as well. I own 2 from Jason :) but mine aren't as big as yours. Time will tell....I hope haha.

Kevin

sjl197

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
There are others like Thrixopelma with mirror patches like that, and plenty of things cheaply sold as Thrixopelma puriens are in the hobby. So lookup those as it keeps getting bigger. But, i would agree you could also be looking at a Grammostola, Euathlus or 'Paraphysa'. The Maraca are an outside possibility, but not common and the urticating patch looks different to me.

I would suggest not Cyriocosmius, i thought the urticating patch is smaller and more dorsal, generally heart shaped. Same with Hapalopus, 'tigerrumps' etc.

Plenty of genera like Holothele can be ruled out that dont have urticating hairs. Plenty of genera like Brachypelma and Aphonopelma can also be ruled out that have typeI hairs, and generally a black spot of hairs towards the back (anterior) of the abdomen.

moose35

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
didn't the person you got them from x-breed something. is it 1 of those slings??

moose

malevolentrobot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
didn't the person you got them from x-breed something. is it 1 of those slings??

moose
hm, doesn't look like one of "those x-bred things" i've seen if we are talking about the same ones, but who knows... that undefined mirror patch is throwing me off :-/

kevin88

Arachnopeon
Any luck on sexng yours? Both of mine just molted and I still couldn't sex them :( Colors are changing lots of red hairs?

KoriTamashii

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
They still really look the same as the last pics I posted... Frustrating, since I just can't figure it out. >_<

anirwin

Arachnopeon
I know nothing about Tarantulas but I do know one thing... that T is so freaking cute and I want it!!

KoriTamashii

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
They still look basically the same as the last pics I posted, too..

They're both REALLY REALLY FAT right now, and will likely molt for me soon... So once that happens, I'll add more pics.

fartkowski

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
My guess would be Euathlus truculentus.
Mine has molted a few times and hardly has grown.
She is still only about 1"

KoriTamashii

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Still not very big, but one of them molted again. It is still pretty fresh in this pic, but it hasn't changed colorwise. Still haven't a clue what it is.