A little mystery

KnightinGale

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hmm, true Cody. I had thought of the spiky hairs on the rear legs, but thought maybe they hadn't manifested yet since it is young. Ah well.
Maybe a few more points of information? You've had it a few months right? How many times has it molted, how far apart? And also if you know, what size was it when you got it and what size is it now? Knowing its growth rate might help. Also, were you feeding it heavily and keeping it warm, or average?

KoriTamashii

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hmm, true Cody. I had thought of the spiky hairs on the rear legs, but thought maybe they hadn't manifested yet since it is young. Ah well.
Maybe a few more points of information? You've had it a few months right? How many times has it molted, how far apart? And also if you know, what size was it when you got it and what size is it now? Knowing its growth rate might help. Also, were you feeding it heavily and keeping it warm, or average?
It's molted three or four times, maybe once a month or so. It was probably 1/8th of an inch when I got it, and now it's probably 3/4". I fed it a single pinhead cricket once a week, and the temperature is between 70 and 75.

TalonAWD

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I got it from Jason (Sharpfang).
Can't be Maraca cabocla because I have not sold any to Sharpfang. (Not to say he could not have bought it off other I have sold to) They are redder in the carapace. I too never seen a M. horrida specimen as a sling. The M. horrida is harder to get in the states.

I have no idea what you have but am interested in finding out.

Heres one about the size you show. Its more fuzzy (short hairs)than furry in the legs.

Last edited:

malevolentrobot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
growth rate doesn't sound much like euathlus sp. blue, given the complaining i've heard myself and others make about watching paint dry faster. then again, i did not obtain mine that small, so i cannot say for 100% certain.

also, marga... whats with the colouring on yours? is it the photo? that doesn't look very much like mine did at that size... way too red. mine is at about 1.5" and the legs are starting to become darker than the rest of the brown body, with the entire thing having sort of a gold sheen. it used to have a very clear butterfly mirror patch on the abdomen, but its not as prominent now.

i vote that it totally could be another Euathlus i am not familiar with, or Paraphysa sp., but again i am just commenting on what i don't think it is at this point.

Last edited:

captmarga

Arachnobaron
growth rate doesn't sound much like euathlus sp. blue, given the complaining i've heard myself and others make about watching paint dry faster. then again, i did not obtain mine that small, so i cannot say for 100% certain.

also, marga... whats with the colouring on yours? is it the photo? that doesn't look very much like mine did at that size... way too red. mine is at about 1.5" and the legs are starting to become darker than the rest of the brown body, with the entire thing having sort of a gold sheen. it used to have a very clear butterfly mirror patch on the abdomen, but its not as prominent now.

i vote that it totally could be another Euathlus i am not familiar with, or Paraphysa sp., but again i am just commenting on what i don't think it is at this point.
Piel was probably 2i and 1/2" or 2/3" when I got him (her/it) and almost translucent pink. Since I've had him he has molted twice, and is now 1 1/2". So no, yours sounds MUCH smaller than Piel.

Tiny little slings worry me, I was terrified every day that he was too tiny and fragile. He's actually become a favorite of mine. I can't imagine having anything only 1/8"...

Marga

KoriTamashii

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Tiny little slings worry me, I was terrified every day that he was too tiny and fragile. He's actually become a favorite of mine. I can't imagine having anything only 1/8"...

Marga
I took one look at it and went '...What the HELL do I feed this tiny thing?!'. {D

Trust me, I know how that is. :D

Salt

Arachnopeon
Well, I couldn't identify it. I'm not much good at identification of adults yet, let alone slings! But I hope she/he turns out to be an interesting little bugger. :)

Salt

Arachnopeon
Hey doesn't that webbing look suspiciously like that of an arboreal species? Try putting a branch in there, see what happens: it could narrow down the possibilities. :)

KoriTamashii

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hey doesn't that webbing look suspiciously like that of an arboreal species? Try putting a branch in there, see what happens: it could narrow down the possibilities. :)
I think that's actually the webbing of the previous occupant, which was an A. avic :wall:

KoriTamashii

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It has molted again! Here's some more pics. Still can't figure it out. I'm leaning toward some kind of Cyriocosmus, because of the mirror patch, but what do I know?

mcluskyisms

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
My money would be on some kinda Euathlus sp. I certainly dont think its a Cyriocosmus of any sort as it would most likely be approaching adult size unless you have really tiny hands.

:?

BatGirl

MAJOR
Old Timer
identification established

I know what it is.....
..... it's cute as a button!
{D

RyTheTGuy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
With time you will know thats whats fun about labeling it MYSTERY!. Im sure its not an expensive T so that probably narrows it down a little bit.

---------- Post added at 11:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:57 AM ----------

OK i just saw a image on someone else's post of a Brachypelma Albiceps looks just like this spiderling here is the post

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=166190

About 1/4 of the way down right above the fireleg, im not 100% sure if it is the same species but it looks like it to me.

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
With time you will know thats whats fun about labeling it MYSTERY!. Im sure its not an expensive T so that probably narrows it down a little bit.

---------- Post added at 11:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:57 AM ----------

OK i just saw a image on someone else's post of a Brachypelma Albiceps looks just like this spiderling here is the post

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=166190

About 1/4 of the way down right above the fireleg, im not 100% sure if it is the same species but it looks like it to me.
Brachypelma don't have mirror patches.