A little help with my versi please

Arachnoman

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hey guys its been a while since I've been on here I've had my versi for almost 2 years now its pretty much fully grown now it molted about a month ago and noticed it was a little too big for its enclosure and time to move it to a new one i hadn't had the time to move her and about 2 weeks after its molt i noticed it not hanging out on its usual webbing atop of its cage but laying on the floor i know these are arboreal but i found it unusual for it to be on the floor for the past 4 days now and I'm a bit worried i thought maybe it outgrew so its moving to were theres bigger room so i just recently made a whole new enclosure for it about twice as big and its still on the floor is this normal? what do you guys think this could be? i hope its not sick, I didn't notice any mold in its old cage the dirt was kinda dry and i moistened it a bit thinking thats what she needed but it hasn't changed since and it continues to lay on the ground:confused: Ive never had a water dish in its enclosure since it was a sling and notice it drinking from the walls when sprayed down a couple times could it be she thirsty and drinking from the dirt? but its been days since shes been laying on the floor :8o
- Sorry for such a long thread I'm kinda worried tho this has been my favorite species of all my other T's

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey guys its been a while since I've been on here I've had my versi for almost 2 years now its pretty much fully grown now it molted about a month ago and noticed it was a little too big for its enclosure and time to move it to a new one i hadn't had the time to move her and
Holy run-on sentences batman! lol Some punctuation would make this post much easier to read.:)

about 2 weeks after its molt i noticed it not hanging out on its usual webbing atop of its cage but laying on the floor
What do you mean by laying on the floor? Is it just sitting there in a normal 'at rest' position? Are its knees pulled up over its head? Are its toes curled under its body?

i know these are arboreal but i found it unusual for it to be on the floor for the past 4 days now
It being in a different place is not something to worry about. Yes, it is an arboreal species, but that doesn't mean it will never set foot on the floor.

and I'm a bit worried i thought maybe it outgrew so its moving to were theres bigger room so i just recently made a whole new enclosure for it about twice as big and its still on the floor is this normal?
So, you have already moved it and it is still choosing to hang out on the substrate? There is nothing about it being on the substrate that is worrisome, by itself.

what do you guys think this could be? i hope its not sick, I didn't notice any mold in its old cage the dirt was kinda dry and i moistened it a bit thinking thats what she needed but it hasn't changed since and it continues to lay on the ground:confused:
How does the tarantula's abdomen look? Is it nice and plump looking?

Ive never had a water dish in its enclosure since it was a sling and notice it drinking from the walls when sprayed down a couple times could it be she thirsty and drinking from the dirt? but its been days since shes been laying on the floor :8o
If you feel that it is almost full grown, why do you not provide it with a water dish? It is possible that it is dehydrated, but pictures/ better description of the tarantula behavior would make discerning that much easier.

- Sorry for such a long thread I'm kinda worried tho this has been my favorite species of all my other T's
Don't worry about it being a long post, that's not the problem. The absence of punctuation makes it hard to read, but that can be remedied with some periods.:) It does sound as if you are worrying over something that is not something to worry about, but if you could answer the questions I have asked perhaps we can help you further. :) This is one of my favorite species as well and I have been a bit of a worry wart in the past as well too.

Arachnoman

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Holy run-on sentences batman! lol Some punctuation would make this post much easier to read.:)

What do you mean by laying on the floor? Is it just sitting there in a normal 'at rest' position? Are its knees pulled up over its head? Are its toes curled under its body?

It being in a different place is not something to worry about. Yes, it is an arboreal species, but that doesn't mean it will never set foot on the floor.

So, you have already moved it and it is still choosing to hang out on the substrate? There is nothing about it being on the substrate that is worrisome, by itself.

How does the tarantula's abdomen look? Is it nice and plump looking?

If you feel that it is almost full grown, why do you not provide it with a water dish? It is possible that it is dehydrated, but pictures/ better description of the tarantula behavior would make discerning that much easier.

Don't worry about it being a long post, that's not the problem. The absence of punctuation makes it hard to read, but that can be remedied with some periods.:) It does sound as if you are worrying over something that is not something to worry about, but if you could answer the questions I have asked perhaps we can help you further. :) This is one of my favorite species as well and I have been a bit of a worry wart in the past as well too.
Thank you for understanding, Yes its just laying there in its normal position but kind of laid out (legs spread out). Its abdomen is a bit smaller than usual since it has molted not to long ago, I've been feeding it like 3-4 crickets a week but its abdomen is still small. Let me see if I can find my cam and take a few pics... I feel much more assured not to be as worried for it being on the substrate. I've never seen my versi on the floor before.

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thank you for understanding, Yes its just laying there in its normal position but kind of laid out (legs spread out). Its abdomen is a bit smaller than usual since it has molted not to long ago, I've been feeding it like 3-4 crickets a week but its abdomen is still small. Let me see if I can find my cam and take a few pics... I feel much more assured not to be as worried for it being on the substrate. I've never seen my versi on the floor before.
A smaller abdomen is alright too, but a wrinkly one can be a sign of dehydration. Since it is all spread out, not pouting or trying to pull a death curl, so far it sounds alright. Pictures will help though! If you haven't taken close up pics of a T before, make sure to use your macro setting(usually looks like a flower) as it should be able to get better clarity. For every good picture I keep/ use, there are usually 10 or so that I send to the recycling bin, so taking multiples and picking out the best of the bunch helps too.:)

jdmjames

Arachnopeon
my versi is hanging out on the floor now too, its still a slingg but its even webbed the floor and it just stays there. it eats and everything, theres no mold or anything and it drinks when i moisten the enclosure. this has had me kind of worried too and ive been searching and found nothing on the matter. i'll keep searching and checking in here. now im a little less worried cause mine isnt the only one lol.

Arachnoman

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hey its me again, ha i never figured out the clarity
for taking good pictures on my cam until i saw the
Macro option, And as i came back to upload the pic's
i saw your message ;). I got some nice clear pic's
and when I went to check on my T he was actually
off the ground this time and I think the reason for him
being on the ground these past couple days is because
of the heat. Its been a little warmer in the room i have
him in compared to were he used to be at :confused:
but heres the pics his abdomen has grown larger also :razz:
Thanks for all the help I appreciate it. I was going to
make the pictures smaller but i think it looks gnarly
all close up :D

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That looks like a healthy A. versicolor to me! Great pics too, glad I was able to help you out with them.:) It must just feel like being on the ground, if it is down there, it is because it wants to be. It doesn't look to be in any distress, so I wouldn't worry any.

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
and provide it a water dish at that size.;)

After a second look at the enclosure, you need to have something that spans the vertical length of the enclosure for it anchor web on. Perhaps that is a reason that it is sitting on the ground.

Arachnoman

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
and provide it a water dish at that size.;)

After a second look at the enclosure, you need to have something that spans the vertical length of the enclosure for it anchor web on. Perhaps that is a reason that it is sitting on the ground.

Good thought thanks for the advice im gonna make a new better enclosure ill probly buy one of those 8x8x16 acrylic cages they sale thanks again for your help :)

cityzooguy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
If it is just after a moult and the spider is acting funny the first thing that I do is make sure there is plenty of water.

Moulting takes alot of water out of a spider.

It might be more damp or humid on the ground.

Some of my avics will drink water as I spray it on cork-bark or moss.

also water dishes are cool.:D

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Good thought thanks for the advice im gonna make a new better enclosure ill probly buy one of those 8x8x16 acrylic cages they sale thanks again for your help :)
No problem, glad to help. (you could still work on punctuation too, it would help others to read your posts more easily ;))