A little confused with names

Bread

Arachnopeon
I've been trying to offload my MM A.avic to make spiderbabies but nobody seems to want him :/

So I also did some reading about getting him a female and breeding my first bunch, doing this I found useful info and confused myself at the same time.

When I got him from TSS he was listed as 'guyana pink toe a.avic' but I am also seeing references to this being A.versicolor, are they the same or different?

Scientific Name Avicularia versicolor

Habitat: Distribution/BackgroundThe Pinktoe Tarantula Avicularia avicularia was described by Linnaeus in 1758. They are found in Brazil, Trinidad, Martinique, Guyana, French Guiana, Suriname, Venezuela, and throughout the Amazon Basin. Other common names they are known by are Pink-toed Tree Spider, Pink-toed Tarantula, and Guyana Pinktoe. Most of those available currently are imported from Guyana.

http://animal-world.com/encyclo/reptiles/spiders/pinktoedtarantula.php

Anybody help me out with this, oh and any Avic specific breeding tips would be greatly appreciated :)

thanks

Flexzone

Arachnodemon
That's the problem with cn they can apply to a wide range of Ts... A. avic and A. versi are certainly different sp.

BorisTheSpider

No this is Patrick
Old Timer
I've been trying to offload my MM A.avic to make spiderbabies but nobody seems to want him :/
Next to the parahybana they are probably the most common species in the trade . They are imported by the thousands and adults can be found on line for as little as ten to twelve bucks . That makes the demand for breeders very low . However don't be dissuaded , I say if you think you are ready and want to give breeding a chance then go for it . IMO it's a very rewarding experience and it opens up a whole new aspect of the hobby that many collectors don't delve into . If you have kids them make them a part of it . If gives you a chance to spend extra quality time with them and it can be a very positive learning experience for them . It's a win win .

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
A.versicolor is about the only species from this genus that is easily recognised, very different than A.avic.

Bread

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the help peeps, I'll give it a go myself, I just have to locate a female now, they seem rare in the UK.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
A.versicolor is about the only species from this genus that is easily recognised, very different than A.avic.

Versicolor is being moved out of Avicularia into it's own genus. Same thing's happening with laeta. What was once Avicularia is soon to be 8 genera.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
When I got him from TSS he was listed as 'guyana pink toe a.avic' but I am also seeing references to this being A.versicolor, are they the same or different?

any Avic specific breeding tips would be greatly appreciated

Ignore common names, they're worthless. They're not standardized. Some species have several, many have none. They cause more confusion that anything else. Beginners come here and use common names, and we don't know what the hell they're talking about.

Talk to Coldblood about breeding Avics.

Last edited:

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Versicolor is being moved out of Avicularia into it's own genus. Same thing's happening with laeta. What was once Avicularia is soon to be 8 genera.
That would be a good move i think, perhaps somer order can be made into the messy genus. Thank you for sharing!

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
Why are they doing this to me, I think I just got the Avic species straight in my little brain.
....sobs uncontrollably...

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
If you don't 100% know the species you can't breed it, just because it was sold as "a. Avic" doesn't mean it is. It's not a safe bet breeding your specimen

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
There's going to be a fair amount of taxonomic synomizing soon in the Avic genus. Some people won't be happy at all.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Why are they doing this to me, I think I just got the Avic species straight in my little brain.

No you didn't. It's been a mess from the beginning, most of what you 'knew' was false. There's a long-term revision underway by Caroline Fukushima, and an interim paper has been published. To give you an idea of the crap that's been dumped into Avicularia over the decades: one species was moved to Grammostola and another to Euathlus! That's why I totally disregard the two 'official' tarantula species lists; there's so many bad names from old, vague descriptions. No one knows how many tarantula species there are. Don't quote the lists.

Fukushima has invalidated 18 bogus and duplicate species, and as it stands now there's 14 valid Avic species, with 8 still under review, so a potential max of 22; Jacobi's 'official' list has 47 Avic species! Prior to this Avicularia had been split into Iridopelma, Pachistopelma, and Typhoclaena. 4 new genera will be added:

- versicolor, by itself
- laeta, by itself
- diversipes, gamba, & sooretama
- minatrix, hirschii, & one other species

Interesting stuff.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
There's going to be a fair amount of taxonomic synomizing soon in the Avic genus. Some people won't be happy at all.

What, not happy it's finally being straightened out? It's been ridiculous.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

So I also did some reading about getting him a female and breeding my first bunch, doing this I found useful info and confused myself at the same time.

Scientific Name Avicularia versicolor

Habitat: Distribution/BackgroundThe Pinktoe Tarantula Avicularia avicularia was described by Linnaeus in 1758. They are found in Brazil, Trinidad, Martinique, Guyana, French Guiana, Suriname, Venezuela, and throughout the Amazon Basin. Other common names they are known by are Pink-toed Tree Spider, Pink-toed Tarantula, and Guyana Pinktoe. Most of those available currently are imported from Guyana.

http://animal-world.com/encyclo/reptiles/spiders/pinktoedtarantula.php

Anybody help me out with this, oh and any Avic specific breeding tips would be greatly appreciated :)

thanks

I don't believe you actually read the site you provided us.

If you read the page you provided us, you would have clearly read in the SECOND paragraph the following information below. If you clicked on the link in that paragraph, you would have seen that Antilles Pink Toe is a common name for A. versicolor.

"The Pink-toed Tree Spiders are docile and hardy. They are active during the day and will build extensive web tubes in their enclosure. Though they are much more docile than their close cousin the Antilles Pink Toe Tarantula they will jump, so care should be taken when handling them."

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
No you didn't. It's been a mess from the beginning, most of what you 'knew' was false. There's a long-term revision underway by Caroline Fukushima, and an interim paper has been published. To give you an idea of the crap that's been dumped into Avicularia over the decades: one species was moved to Grammostola and another to Euathlus! That's why I totally disregard the two 'official' tarantula species lists; there's so many bad names from old, vague descriptions. No one knows how many tarantula species there are. Don't quote the lists.

Fukushima has invalidated 18 bogus and duplicate species, and as it stands now there's 14 valid Avic species, with 8 still under review, so a potential max of 22; Jacobi's 'official' list has 47 Avic species! Prior to this Avicularia had been split into Iridopelma, Pachistopelma, and Typhoclaena. 4 new genera will be added:

- versicolor, by itself
- laeta, by itself

Interesting stuff.
From Avicularia to Euathlus..isn't that a bit...strange? Since Euathlus seems another genus to 'dump' species in...

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel

- versicolor, by itself
- laeta, by itself

Interesting stuff.
Yeah well I can add it to aaaalllll the lycosidae genera and species. You know it really would help rank amateurs like myself if they'd show you a pic alongside name. Grrr.