A little advice please

looper

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
so i got my first scorp the other day it's a P. Imperator the tanks big enough not sure on the exact size tep is 85f, humid is at 60% hes got his little hiding hole everything a scorp could want but am a bit worried as i have not seen him drinking from his water bowl although there is enough condensation on the glass could this be where he is getting his liquids from! I know that the p. imperator needs a lot of liquid and am just worried about him. advice would be greatly welcomed!

Regards looper

P.S. his eating habbits are fine.

tabor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Do not worry about him not drinking :)

He does... you just don't see it... they are very sneaky !

Get a red light and at night watch them :)

edit: I noted you said the rh is 60% , you might wanna try to get that to 80%+...you said the glass is wet on the sides, is this only after you spray it or is it like that constantly??

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
It's actually kinda weird when they drink to. They'll shove there head into the bowl and it seems as they are commiting suidide via suffication/drowning. But don't worry about it. If you really want to see them drink you can take away the water for a few days and then put it back. It won't do much harm they can go a while without food or water.

looper

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
yeah got a red light it's on all the time like you say prob me just over reacting. plus i dont stay up till daft o'clock watching

BadBikaDamo

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I love watching my emps drink, but I see it so rarely, my H. spins bathe in their water.

Are you sure your humidity is 60%, if there is lots of condensation. Maybe check again, could be higher then that. Mine is at 90%

Hope you enjoy this forum, the stuff you can learn is amazing

Damo

DrGigglez666

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yea dont worry about him drinking mine barely did!! Only seen him cleaning and drinking one time most scorps get their water from food!!

Rosenkreuz

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
As was already said, he's drinking, you just don't see it. Same with bathing. I've seen videos of P.Imperators bathing, but I never saw mine do it until the other day. And I've had mine for close to a month.

If you ever get up in the middle of the night for any reason, stop for about 10 minutes and just watch your scorpion. You'll see him do some pretty cool things. I love watching mine dig.

looper

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
yeah cheers guys! oh and another quick question is there any way of telling what instar they are at mines about 3 inches in body length, and at what age can they start breeding?

Jaffster

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Look at the picture I sent to you last night Looper, that was the first time I caught mine drinking. I've seen her bathing in the water but never drinking.

Like someone else said, at first I thought she was commiting suicide as she was sat with her head in the water for a good 5 minutes, but then she moved off and took a cricket from me, angry woman :(

The picture is here, shame my camera didn't like the red light:

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=34010&page=171