A light to see......

That Guy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I want a light to see my T's in the dark... Im thinking of a black light......Is that ok.. Or will it roast it?

bodc21

Arachnojason
Old Timer
use a red light.What i have heard t's cant sense it so it wont stress them out i could be wrong but im pretty sure i am right,hope i helped.-jason

ceaser68

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have heard the same thing just make sure it not a heat lamp..

Doug H

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yes you can use a red light. I have all my T's in a old snake cage that is 2'x4'x2' on one end from the top is a 100watt red light hooked up to a helix thermostate. directly under the light is a large water bowl to provide more humidity in the cage.Around the outside perimiter of the light I keep my tropicals ,Haplopelmas,Psalmopoeus,Cyriopagopus,Chilyobrachus eyc.. and a little farther away a keep my Aphonopelma's and Megaphobema. It works great, I havent seen my Haplopelma's this much since I have moved them to other containers.
Doug

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
Originally posted by hampton
I want a light to see my T's in the dark... Im thinking of a black light......Is that ok.. Or will it roast it?
Red, black, or blue lights have been variously cited as not disturbing T's. To avoid roasting, make sure there's no way the tarantula can come into sirect contact with the bulb and:

1) use only low-wattage bulbs (25W or lower), or

2) use a thermostat or rheostat to moderate the temp, or

3) use the bulb to heat only one end of a very large vivarium, allowing the tarantula to retreat from it if it desires. Be sure to monitor humidity as well as temp, as incandescent bulbs are notoriously drying.

Joy