A. juruensis - abnormal legs

Caseyface

Arachnosquire
Hey guys!

I'm wondering if anyone has experience with their T coming out of a molt with abnormal, almost bulbous-looking tarsals and metatarsals. I ordered my new A. juruensis female juvie from Fear Not (whom I love). After ordering, I was notified that this silly girl molted, and that I'd have to wait about a week until she was strong enough to be shipped. I would much rather her molt before her journey. Anyway, Tanya let me know that this T had...different legs. Thinner legs. She said that she hasn't seen anything like it, but she suspected that it was a mooring issue.

http://arachnoboards.com/gallery/a-juruensis.40172/

I am a noob, and so, I worry.

I am well aware that these amazing creatures can regenerate most physical injuries. However, my main worry is that she will have an even more difficult time molting, since her legs are already thinner than they should be. Not to mention inconsistent.

Also, I am not exactly sure what a mooring issue really means.:dead: Is that the act of escaping the old exoskeleton?

Now, with all that said...I have some questions:
Do you guys have any experience with something like this? Will she probably be okay? Do you think she is going to struggle during her next molt? Was your T okay? Did it's legs regenerate as normal, or did they, too, experience more abnormalities due to the present abnormalities? Am I just overthinking it? :arghh:

Thanks for reading, and thank you for any advice! :shy:

Trenor

Arachnoprince
She said that she hasn't seen anything like it, but she suspected that it was a mooring issue.
I'm not sure what a Mooring issue is and never have heard of such a thing.

Now, with all that said...I have some questions:
Do you guys have any experience with something like this? Will she probably be okay? Do you think she is going to struggle during her next molt? Was your T okay? Did it's legs regenerate as normal, or did they, too, experience more abnormalities due to the present abnormalities? Am I just overthinking it? :arghh:
You're over thinking it. If she is getting along fine I wouldn't worry. They reign limbs all the time. :)

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Yeah, I looks like she might have had some trouble molting and maybe she had to pull harder than normal causing the softer new legs to stretch oddly? Just guessing though since I didn't see the molt. I still wouldn't worry too much. I'd just keep a close watch on her for a few days to make sure she is getting about fine and wait for the next molt.

Nice looking T.

Caseyface

Arachnosquire
@Trenor - I did searches...I came up with nothing that really helped explain it. :/ When Tanya asked if I still wanted her, my answer was of course - as long as the silliness didn't hinder her, or make her weaker in any way. If so, it would be best not to ship her across the country... But, Jury(her name <3), doesn't seem to mind any inconsistencies, and she appears to get along just fine. As soon as she was in her enclosure she started grooming.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BTF1jb0l6UB/?taken-by=caseyannebran

God, I love when animals groom themselves. It is so much cuter than us humans.

Last edited:

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I think she'll be fine then. Keep us posted.

God, I love when animals groom themselves. It is so much cuter than us humans.
Yeah, me licking my hands and rubbing them on my face is not an appealing thing at all. :D

It's much cooler when they do it.

Caseyface

Arachnosquire
Yeah, I looks like she might have had some trouble molting and maybe she had to pull harder than normal causing the softer new legs to stretch oddly?
Hmm, interesting. I have no guesses as to might have gone on during that molt. Pulling harder than normal...interesting to think why she may have done such a thing. :nurse:

Last edited:

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
It was probably a misspelled word "Mooring" = Molting issues. It could have been spoken instead of typed which doesn't always do justice to individual tones/fluctuations.

Hope your new T does well and recovers. Look like in the first pic it lost a pedipalp?

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
Wow, that's interesting. That last molt must've been super stressful. If she's grooming, she's probably ok. Just make sure she has water.

At least she has character:)

MetalMan2004

Arachnodemon
It was probably a misspelled word "Mooring" = Molting issues. It could have been spoken instead of typed which doesn't always do justice to individual tones/fluctuations.

Hope your new T does well and recovers. Look like in the first pic it lost a pedipalp?
I thought perhaps it was a mooping issue instead of a mooring issue (any Seinfeld fans out there :)).

You certainly have a unique one there. Good luck with her!

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I was so focused on her tarsals that I didn't even recognize that until @Trenor mentioned it earlier. Kinda feel like an idiot. Hah. :embarrassed:
Naaa, whenever someone mentions legs my go to is to start counting. It's not uncommon in to loose either in a rough molt. I honestly didn't notice the thick/narrow places on the legs int the photo till you started up the thread.

cold blood

Staff member
Yeah, mooring is a boating term...a moored boat is one kept tied to a secure structure...I also think it was a spelling oopsie and meant to read "molting".

That said, the only times I have seen skinny legs like that is when missing legs are freshly regenerated.

CEC

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter
I can't tell the species, looks like it had a "wet" molt. Lucky to survive that. I know Tanya bred Avicularia rufa (hobby juruensis) a couple years ago using two different localities even though she was ill advised to mix them from the previous owner. Could be from that batch but hard to say from that pic, easier just to ask Tanya. I bet she's still using out dated hobby names instead of the revised names.