A. Grandidieri flag tail death?

Oswoc

Arachnosquire
Hi guys, long story short, I found my flag tail pede dead today. No idea why. Few days ago she eat a locust. Always happy with her set up, always damp, tonnes of springtails and isopods to keep on top of mold, plenty of substrate depth, a water dish, room temps, air flow.

The one I bought was wild caught, maybe it came with a disease? Or a bad molt? Or mycosis if I overdid the moisture in the substrate?

Please say if I failed on husbandry. I've kept T's and other inverts for a year now.

Few blurry pictures to help! 1 of the dead pede remains on the side of Cork bark.
another of enclosure, minus the lid. 20211114_202108.jpg 20211114_202056.jpg

ZILLA SUZUYA

Arachnopeon
Mine just died too :( idk why either. Mine was wild caught as well and literally just ate two days ago. Yours was probably just old age as well. Sorry for your loss.

Jumbie Spider

Arachnobaron
Dunno if it's the picture quality or what, but that looks like a pretty mangled carcass. Shouldn't it be looking like its usual self, but lifeless?
Unless that's a molt? I know some centipedes eat their molt, but does this species?

Oswoc

Arachnosquire
Thanks for the replies.

There was a large mesh top on this enclosure. I've used these enclosures before with T's and they wouldn't hold moisture that great, nor would they encourage mold - seemed like a decent air flow to me?

As for the mangled molt. This might be down to how long it was in the enclosure before I discovered it, plus the isopods may have got to it.
It defo wasnt a molt as it STUNK to high hell!

Also, sorry for your loss Zilla, these are stunning creatures, and it's such a shame to see them pass away under our 'care'.

Anyway, I'm thinking in the future of getting a S. Subspines/Dehaani - the main thing holding me back was how good they are at 'escaping', but the 4 i recently bought ( A. Grandedeiri ,s. Cingulata, R. Longipes, E. Trigonpedos) haven't come close to escaping, and all seem tame as hell (i actually held 3 of them, and had no bad reaction from any of them!) Not that I intend to hold a Dehaani/subspines.

Lastly, sorry for my spelling, hope everything makes sense!

Thanks guys

ZILLA SUZUYA

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the replies.

There was a large mesh top on this enclosure. I've used these enclosures before with T's and they wouldn't hold moisture that great, nor would they encourage mold - seemed like a decent air flow to me?

As for the mangled molt. This might be down to how long it was in the enclosure before I discovered it, plus the isopods may have got to it.

Also, sorry for your loss Zilla, these are stunning creatures, and it's such a shame to see them pass away under our 'care'.

Anyway, I'm thinking in the future of getting a S. Subspines/Dehaani - the main thing holding me back was how good they are at 'escaping', but the 4 i recently bought ( A. Grandedeiri ,s. Cingulata, R. Longipes, E. Trigonpedos) haven't come close to escaping, and all seem tame as hell (i actually held 3 of them, and had no bad reaction from any of them!) Not that I intend to hold a Dehaani/subspines.

Lastly, sorry for my spelling, hope everything makes sense!

Thanks guys
I have a dehaani too. She has been great but the one thing with these guys is that you need a lot of ventilation. I have tons of ventilation with mine and still have some fungus starting to grow but I also live in a humid state. I’d recommend watching ThePureLife on YouTube on how to set up a good enclosure for them. I use Tupperware for all of my bugs except my avics. But my dehaani seems a little more shy than others I’ve seen. But be careful!!! Their reflexes and reactions are incredibly fast and strong and they react to anything that touches them. They can act surprisingly docile until you go touch them with tongs or even blow on them. But such an amazing animal and I’m so glad I own one. I highly recommend but they are a lot more nervous than other pedes I’ve seen and it’s in a more unique way in my opinion. I’m no expert but do as much research as possible obviously. They are great!

TheHouseof21pairs

Arachnosquire
Thanks for the replies.

Having a mesh top without side ventilation holes doesn’t give the enclosure a good air flow. How do you expect air go in from the top and go back out from the top and at the same time flowing down to substrate level?…is not happening am sorry. T’s are NOT centipedes. That’s a death trap. High humidity and no proper ventilation is the perfect environment for any sort of mould/fungus to thrive and centipedes are very very sensitive to humidity levels and fungal infection like mycosis. Try the next time to drill or poke holes all around the sides about an inch above substrate and see the difference in air flow by looking at the ratio the substrate will dry off. DO NOT worry if the substrate is a bit on dry side for a day or two, your centipede will not die from that a can assure you.
Last but not least, Mike(Thepurelife) is a dear friend and a great guy, go on you tube and look a some of his videos, he’s got a lot of info on pedes husbandry.
I'm sorry for your loss but hey, shit happens even at the more experienced, I’m sure next time it’ll go much better.
Take care

Oswoc

Arachnosquire
Again, thanks for all your input guys!

I'd still love input on Dehaani escapes. I know they can get through tight spaces, really tight.
But I've also heard they can 'bite' through acrylic/plastic, or even use their forcepticles to rip open metal mesh on enclosures...
Seems crazy to me, and I've searched and other places and still not come to a solid conclusion on the matter.

If I was to get a dehaani, I would 100% solder air flow holes from side to side, one slightly higher than the other, and I would get a enclosure that sealed rightly all around, and would even put weight on top of the enclosure to restrict how much force a Pede could expect on the moving parts of the enclosure.

Surely that would be enough? With, or without a big gap between substrate and the opening/roof of enclosure...

Thanks again guys!
Genuinely value your input :)

TheHouseof21pairs

Arachnosquire
I'd still love input on Dehaani escapes. I know they can get through tight spaces, really tight.
But I've also heard they can 'bite' through acrylic/plastic, or even use their forcepticles to rip open metal mesh on enclosures....
A fully grown Dehaani does not squeeze thru a 5 mm hole. They DO NOT “bite” thru acrylic/plastic. I would not use metal mesh anyway. A clip lock sealed lid is more then fine you don’t need to put any weight on it. It’s a Dehaani ok but it’s still a centipede not a pitbull. The only one thing is make sure that the height from the substrate to lid is high enough for the centipede not to reach the top and your good to go

ZILLA SUZUYA

Arachnopeon
A fully grown Dehaani does not squeeze thru a 5 mm hole. They DO NOT “bite” thru acrylic/plastic. I would not use metal mesh anyway. A clip lock sealed lid is more then fine you don’t need to put any weight on it. It’s a Dehaani ok but it’s still a centipede not a pitbull. The only one thing is make sure that the height from the substrate to lid is high enough for the centipede not to reach the top and your good to go
Well said ^^^

ZILLA SUZUYA

Arachnopeon
Also in my experience the calmer you deal with your centipede such as prodding with tongs and doing rehouses the calmer your centipede will react especially with the calmer species. The dehaanis are little more tricky but mine has calmed down a lot each time I’ve rehoused her. This is just MY experience though and every centipede is different and has their own personality and all centipedes should be rehoused and dealt with extreme CAUTION! Never let your guard down and always make sure they have no way to escape. Like I said a few post above they are a lot more nervous than some of the other pedes I’ve dealt with.