A Grammastola question

bugguy1

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
This may seem like a stupid question but I need to ask anyway. Are Grammastola cala, spatulata and rosea considered three separate species?:?

defour

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
G. rosea and G. cala still exist, but only G. rosea is represented in the market. G. spatulata is a junior synonym of G. rosea and is no longer used.

Steve

belewfripp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Technically of the three only G. rosea still exists. G. spatulata was synonymised with G. rosea, as was G. cala by Schmidt in 1998. Despite the cala synonymy, a lot of folks, like Rick West, believe that cala is a seperate species and that Schmidt was mistaken in synonymising the two. Until someone reverses it, though, G. rosea is the only one of the three that is a valid name.

Adrian

bugguy1

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
So what would your recommendations be as far as breeding? I have a proven female breeder of rosea and a male that when sold to me went by the name cala...should I attempt a pairing?

defour

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Originally posted by bugguy1
So what would your recommendations be as far as breeding? I have a proven female breeder of rosea and a male that when sold to me went by the name cala...should I attempt a pairing?
Yes. From what I've heard, G. cala is certainly not in the trade now, and if it ever was it was a long time ago. I'd go right ahead and mate them.

Steve