A good scorpion hide in a nutshell?

scorpionchaos

Arachnosquire
Im sorry its a horrible pun, but I just had to...

Any way I'm always screwing around with things to see how i could use them for scorpions. I was just lying on the couch eating walnuts when I cracked one open and removed the rather bland but nutritious insides. After hollowing every last little bit of nut out I noticed a nic in the side of the nut. That instant it hit me like a ton of bricks! I started picking at the the little chip and expanded until it was a little entrance. Whilst I picked at the entrance for perfection it occurred to me that throughout many environments where scorpions are found, so are nuts and seeds (some a good size). I began to think that if I was a little scorpling A nutshell would provide a very durable, rigid and secure home. It would contain humidity (not absorb it) and generally be undisturbed as a empty nutshell is far less appetizing than full one. Any way while I had this little "break through" I began to think that not just walnuts could be used, other nuts like chest nuts, peanuts and others could easily and affordably access these at a local grocery store or bulk barn and remove the nuts within with ease! Of course Im going to include pictures but I would love to hear what you guys think about this theory and hide! Obviously this would be for small early in-stars, but you can find bigger types of nuts!

Last edited:

pardozer

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Lol. That a pretty good idea. I think it's perfect for little slings actually. 2i dwarf species could utilize these four a long time like 5 or 6i. That's for the awesome idea!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

scorpionchaos

Arachnosquire
No problem lol glad you like the idea, I'm going to stop at a grocery store soon and I'll probably buy a couple of nuts to try this same technique, I'll be sure to let you know how that goes!

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I think coconut shells might make a good idea as well. I want to try it actually, but my only concern is them growing mold.

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
Ingenious. Not only that, but it looks awesome too.. Looks like a great hide for Scolopendra plings, as well.

2nscorpx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It's a great idea, certainly, and I don't want to be difficult at all, but could there be any possibility of chemicals or such materials on the nuts? Walnuts are a great hide for little ones, but other nuts might not be as good. Again, I don't want to seem like I'm being a party-pooper.

Patcho

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I've been using coconut shells as hides for months and I haven't seen any problems with using them.

jhoagland

Arachnopeon
Well, for what this is worth, tannins are released when the shell or leaf gets wet. If it doesn't get wet, then none are released. Maybe it is much ado about nothing. I don't know enough about scorpions to say. I do know what it does to grass and animal hides. YMMV. I still like the idea...in a nutshell.

vespers

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I doubt coconuts are really an issue. Considering many people use coco fiber/eco-earth/plantation soil etc. as substrate, and dart frog enthusiasts often use coconut shell huts as hides.

SamuraiSid

Arachnodemon
I would highly advice against walnut shells. They contain juglone which is insecticidal. If your going to seal the shells, there might not be a problem.

Walnut shell substrate is even more hated than calcisand in the gecko community I frequent.

KDiiX

Arachnobaron
Independent of the question if nut shell are threatened with chemicals or pesticides a good hide for a scorpion is a flat hide with a minimum of space. A nutshell especially a coconut shell is much to big to be a proper hide. Flat stones or barks are the best and they are for free to get in nature ;-)

ShredderEmp

Arachnoprince
I know that tannins may only be released when wet, but I like to air on the side of caution. I do know that it is very bad for fish, however, I don't know if it has any effects on scorpions. I'm just being cautious.

scorpionchaos

Arachnosquire
I plan on thoroughly washing and baking them, would that make no difference? Kidix I plan on experimenting with many different sized, shaped and species of nuts until I find something more secure, I'm going to try a peanut next which is smaller and has two chambers so the scorpion could go deeper and farther away from the light, I'll be updating this thread with more picture and nuts for a while, if any one wants join me in this experimental process please post your finding here as well!

I use the zilla crushed walnut "desert blend" for my spotted pythons and although it does get in there water dish and cause tinted water but the pythons are healthy and having no issues. And yes I do see them drinking so if it was problematic I'm sure zilla would't have real eased it with looking into that first.