A good habitat for my Pink Toe?

Flexzone

Arachnodemon
That enclosure setup is not suitable for any T really, The wood chips are never suitable as substrate as they are often treated with chemicals during production along with having jagged edges. Avics are quiet a fast arboreal that does better in a large/taller setup. Along with a good amount of fake foliage as cover points in addition to it being used as anchoring for there intricate webbing, IMO they like the sense of being hidden among the leaves opposed to feeling exposed out in the open, Add a curved upright piece of cork bark for them to settle in or bask on, Along with plenty rows of air holes going along the top and sides of the enclosure for proper cross-ventilation to occur as they're very sensitive and succumb easily to stagnant stuffy cages. They should be given dry substrate and a water-dish to drink from along with it being for humidity.

Last edited:

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
i smell a troll.. that is a terrible set up for a Avicularia. its nearly the exact opposite of what a pink toe requires. i take it you have a heat lamp. first of all, take the heat lamp off asap, they dry Ts out a lot and Ts hate light anyway. that cage is way to big for it as well. the pet store ripped you off completly, you could have set that spider up perfectly for about 6 dollars. aubstrates bad, dont want sharp bark for sub. i see a container in the bottem right of the pic that looks like a container from petco.. the best spider killers around. dont follow anything they said. get a 1 gallon plastic jar from walmart and throw out everything else, for all the good it will do for your pinktoe. make a lot of vent holes on the upper sides of the container and some on top as well. get some eco earth from a pet store for sub. keep the substrate dry with a nice full water dish. temps 70-80 and youre good.

Last edited:

Taylorthepinktoe

Arachnopeon
i smell a troll.. that is the worst set up ive ever seen in my life. its nearly the exact opposite of what a pink toe requires. i take it you have a heat lamp. first of all, take the heat lamp off asap, they dry Ts out a lot and Ts hate light anyway. that cage is way to big for it as well. the pet store ripped you off completly, you could have set that spider up perfectly for about 6 dollars. aubstrates bad, dont want sharp bark for sub. i see a container in the bottem right of the pic that looks like a container from petco.. the best spider killers around. dont follow anything they said. get a 1 gallon plastic jar from walmart and throw out everything else, for all the good it will do for your pinktoe. make a lot of vent holes on the upper sides of the container and some on top as well. get some eco earth from a pet store for sub. keep the substrate dry with a nice full water dish. temps 70-80 and youre good.
How will it become 70-80 degrees if I don't have a lamp and I live in cold weather . I need a lamp . And I'm getting more coverage .

Tarantula dude

Arachnosquire
Thanks , what kind of bedding should I get him? Not wood chips .
Get tarantula peat or eco earth. Not sure if you have access to tarantula peat , but i know eco earth comes in little brick which you leave in water for some time. Also make sure that the substrate is not sopping wet.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
How will it become 70-80 degrees if I don't have a lamp and I live in cold weather . I need a lamp . And I'm getting more coverage .
the almighty space heater. focused sources of heat are bad for Ts and can literally cook them. its better for a spider to be cold than being slowly cooked. heat pads, heat lamps, a spiders worst nightmare.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Heat the room. The heat lamp will cook the T, literally. Get rid of the tank, search the forums for examples of a good Avic enclosure. They require very ventilated areas and humidity (not too much). Not to be rude, but your set up is a sure way to end up with a dead Avic soon.

Tarantula dude

Arachnosquire
If possible get a room heater and monitor the temp. As said above a heat lamp is not suitable for a T. It's not a reptile... Also stay away from heat mats they have caused casualties. The easiest option is a room heater.

Taylorthepinktoe

Arachnopeon
the almighty space heater. focused sources of heat are bad for Ts and can literally cook them. its better for a spider to be cold than being slowly cooked. heat pads, heat lamps, a spiders worst nightmare.
That's why there's heaters ? Lmao . I've been having my tarantula for a long time and every expert needs a heater all my friends have one and said you're stupid for saying they don't otherwise they will freeze . Heat pads are obviously dangerous . But with having a light that adds heat and hiding , I turn the light off at night . He's fine and all my friend's tarantulas live happy thanks though .

Taylorthepinktoe

Arachnopeon
If possible get a room heater and monitor the temp. As said above a heat lamp is not suitable for a T. It's not a reptile... Also stay away from heat mats they have caused casualties. The easiest option is a room heater.
Yes I totally agree because I check on him all the time and when it gets colder here he climbs and gets near the lamp to warm up , but when it's a little hot outside he likes to go into his bed .

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
That's why there's heaters ? Lmao . I've been having my tarantula for a long time and every expert needs a heater all my friends have one and said you're stupid for saying they don't otherwise they will freeze . Heat pads are obviously dangerous . But with having a light that adds heat and hiding , I turn the light off at night . He's fine and all my friend's tarantulas live happy thanks though .
If your friends are experts, then why ask our advice? If they're the ones that gave you the advice for that enclosure, then they're far from being a beginner, let alone an expert.

Not like it matters. Clearly a troll post.

Taylorthepinktoe

Arachnopeon
If your friends are experts, then why ask our advice? If they're the ones that gave you the advice for that enclosure, then they're far from being a beginner, let alone an expert.

Not like it matters. Clearly a troll post.
A troll? Are you an expert or a 10 year old who plays video games for a living . Nobody uses that word I asked for advice not know it alls . And yeah my friends texted me just know with info . But thanks anyway .

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
more than 6 years?? i have 30 Ts and have been keeping for a good while now. just use a space heater. theres people here with decades of experiance and have been keeping nearly 3 times your lifespan. your friends are no experts, not by any means if they tell you heat lamps are good for ts. but hey, what do i know? lets see what everyone else says. ;)

Tarantula dude

Arachnosquire
Yes I totally agree because I check on him all the time and when it gets colder here he climbs and gets near the lamp to warm up , but when it's a little hot outside he likes to go into his bed .
A heat lamp is never a good option. Just get a cheap heater. It will help , a lot. Trust me. I use my wall heater and my T's are on the opposite side of the room and it makes a huge impact. Just close all windows and doors and you're T will be nice and happy.

Taylorthepinktoe

Arachnopeon
more than 6 years?? i have 30 Ts and have been keeping for a good while now. just use a space heater. theres people here with decades of experiance and have been keeping nearly 3 times your lifespan. your friends are no experts, not by any means if they tell you heat lamps are good for ts. but hey, what do i know? lets see what everyone else says. ;)
Lol okay catfish .