A Good Divider For Scorpions

jper26

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Im running out of room too put scorpions i have a open 10 gallon. I was thinking of getting 2 A.bicolors is there a way too put a divider in a tank, do they sell them for terrariums?

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Divided tanks are, in my opinion, always a bad idea. The amount of attention to detail that would be required to actualy create a perfect divide is immense. I would consider doing it only because I generaly build custom lids for mine, so I could put a divider in and make two lids for the top. The weak point with any divider is going to be the lid/divider junction, so keep that in mind.

Cheers,
Dave

Neo

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Originally posted by jper26
Im running out of room too put scorpions i have a open 10 gallon. I was thinking of getting 2 A.bicolors is there a way too put a divider in a tank, do they sell them for terrariums?
Actually they do or there are options. There are petshops that can get a divider personalized to your taste, might be a slight cost. One thing I used to do, I don't keep much pets nowadays, I measure the tanks demensions and go to a glass cutter, they will cut it up to fit it quite snuggly. Always make it a little smaller than the actual demension, you don't want it to be stuck or expand during heating times. I don't believe its expensive either. I got a real bad memory, call people and ask. The question is......are you willing to spend some Greens.

Another thing, make the glass a little black or something, cause that way they won't see each other all the time and fight between the tank dividers. I don't know....

Last edited:

chau0046

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well yesterday i seen i critter keeper that was about one third sectioned off beautifully(to the top and all).It was about twenty bucks Canadian. The only thing difficult would be deciding who gets the bigger area. But cats a**!!

I`m gonna go buy it tommorow. I seems more important now....

Mat

Craig

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
have you ever considered using steralite palstic shoe boxes? they make new ones that are completely translucent. they are about 35 cents more expensive. you can see decorantions etc..through these, and i think 2 of some that are = to 5 gallons would take up less room than a 10 gallon aquarium.
or you could get a smaller size and have more room. just a suggestion :)

LCDXX

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
You'd be amazed at how truly easy it is to divide a 10 gallon tank into two 5 gallon tanks. I did this recently with my Pinktoe and Chilean Rose Ts - just take a measurement of the width of the tank minus 1/4 inch to compensate for the thickness of the glass and then measure the height up to the inner lip of the top of the tank... go to a hardware store like Lowe's and get a sheet of Lucite for about $3 and a tube of silicone caulking ($5). They will cut the Lucite to your liking right then and there... just go home, score the inner lip at the top of the tank with a blade so you can slide the sheet down into it, size up you're corners to right angles and BAM! You have a custom dual enclosure.

It takes all of about 10 minutes to set it up and just let it dry overnight and you're good to go!

LCDXX

Last edited:

LCDXX

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I almost forgot, here's a pic of my dual encloser...

LCDXX

Neo

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
cgdgd

Very nice, Very nice. I don't divide 10 gallon tanks though. In my opinion I believe a 5 gallon for each T is a bit small. I feel that they are couped up. Probably not so true, but.....you know...

Very nice set up tho, what kind of T's?

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
LCDXX,

How much of a gap is there between the top of the divider and the lid? It is my understanding that this is generaly the weak point in the design. I have heard numorous stories of people who had Ts force their way through the space and into their neighbour's enclosure.

Cheers,
Dave

LCDXX

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
The gap is about 1/4 of an inch from the bottom of the screen to the top of the divider... but this is easily fixed by using a 50/50 screen lid with hinges that run front to back. The particular lid I found has a 1-inch overhang around the outside of the tank and also through the middle along the hinge. When both sides are shut, the overhang along the hinge clasps onto the divider making a sealed division clear across. Since the over hang runs along both sides of the hinge, you can open either side and the gap is still closed.

I'm prolly not making a bit of sense here, but as soon as I get a camera, I'll take a few picks to clarify my description... keep your eyes on this post.

As for the issue of Ts being cramped in 5 gallon enclosures, I can assure you that 5 gallons is, for 75% of the species out there. Size is really only an issue for specs that exceed 5.5 or 6 inches in size. My one exception is that my next T will be an A. Purpurea and I just got a nice 50 gallon hexagon tank with stand that is going to make a beautiful display and provide lots of room for her to romp.

LCDXX

PS: I should have some more pics up this weekend

[EDIT] For those of you who were curious, I have a G. rosea on the left side and an A. avicularia on the right... my next partitioned tank will house my new A. seemani on one side and my new Usambara on the other.

Now I just need my A. purpurea and an H. lividum and I'll be content... for a little while anyway. I'm focusing right now on a male/female pair of H. Spadix at the moment.

Last edited: